Watercooled i5-3570k Temps too high with the Antec 620?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krazeee

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
System: Corsair 650D (Beautiful cable management, fans are decent.
CPU: i5-3570k
MOBO: Asrock Z77 X4

I have the H20 620, and Installing it was a bitch, its harder than the previous model (i have the newest one) and well it took me a third pair of arms, similar to the H70 installation... I've refitted it ~3 times also once with a friend to make sure it was on perfectly.

Well I've tried both the stock thermal paste + some new stuff i got these results:

Stock temps Idle: around 21-25, one core is always at 30 for some reason.
Stock Temps load: goes up to 60-65 on fan speeds on max with intel burn test.

Ambient Temps: ~24 Degrees

Picture of how it is setup:

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8144/dscn0006cd.jpg

Solution
that actually the sort of temps you're going to see with that cooler. were you expecting 10C on idle? :) best head down to the watercooling sticky onto the CLC section, maybe help you get more than what you're getting in that layout.

Lutfij

Titan
that actually the sort of temps you're going to see with that cooler. were you expecting 10C on idle? :) best head down to the watercooling sticky onto the CLC section, maybe help you get more than what you're getting in that layout.

Solution

trigg

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012
I agree with Lufij, just because it is 'water' cooling dose not mean you will get extremely low temps.
Honestly there is little difference between budget water cooling and air cooling systems.
I have an exact setup as you, AsRock z77 Extreme 4, 3570k(over clocked to 4.4) and i have Noctua nh-d14 air cooler which keeps my load temps around 65-70.

Unless you want to spend a lot of money on a really good water cooling system, id just stick with air cooling.

Krazeee

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

Alright thanks, And I'm not really a fan of overclocking, I've done 4.2ghz stable (my chip isn't very good, bad luck but ohwell). I'm running back on stock because i dont believe in tuning something that runs perfectly fine on its own.

My main purpose to get water cooled over air cooled is because it looks much better in my 650D. Air cooling doesn't look the best. My only paranoi is a fear that it'll leak and fry my system even though i kept it outside for 2 weeks before installing it to make sure it wouldn't leak, but i shouldn't worry right?

Thanks...

socialfox

Distinguished
+1^ to what everyone said including the Veyron :D
Anyways installing the Kuhler 620 was a pain for me as well, I bet we got the new batch without the coloured pieces found in the old one. When I screwed mine in, one side would always pop out of the screw hole and so I applied so much force I felt like I was going to break my motherboard or something. In addition, the Kuhler 620 is not a high end cooler, in fact the Hyper 212 EVO performs just as good.

However I noticed switching my fan to intakes on the radiator lowered the temperatures by 5-7 degrees.

Lutfij

Titan
If you head down to the watercooling sticky, there's a CLC section. Details on how to set it up to achieve the best possible results. surprised nobody posted back with the find or a reference...

for a lot less than that antec

socialfox

Distinguished

Forgot to write that part about the price of the 212 EVO :lol:

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
LOL, you are right! I was going to buy a CLC for my system until I really started reading into the prebuilt coolers. Not worth the risk for water cooling. And I've heard that some of those CLC's can be loud at times! I like my setup with my 212, 600rpm fans are silent and BF3 only breaks my CPU to 55C that way! If you're going to go for water cooling; it's best to run a custom loop. If you're wanting to buy into the cheap closed loops; look into cheaper air alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.