Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Sees Only 1 Core Of GTX 295

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2010 2:22:33 PM

I posted previously serious performance fall under windows 7 and didn't came to any conclusion why is that...

Now it seems i could be on something...it seems windows 7 cannot see second core of my GTX 295...some hardware monitor tools like WIS also detects only 1 core and half of memory so 896MB...

Any suggestions how could i make it work normally under 7?
February 13, 2010 3:30:26 PM

Reinstall drivers.
February 13, 2010 3:49:09 PM

Did several times, several versions...last version same result...Fresh W7 install ultimate x64...Everything is clean and updated today...

I am slowly loosing nerves...and windows or nvidia support pages are completely useless...Saw many people on forums with same problem...none solutions so far...

If i don't find anything soon i have to go back to Vista cus i'm just wasting time...
Related resources
February 13, 2010 10:33:01 PM

RMA the card if you can.
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2010 11:13:51 PM

896 MB memory is normal - that's actually how much effective memory a 295 has. How are you checking whether it sees the second GPU?
February 14, 2010 12:06:19 PM

Currently using SIW (latest version)...in Vista it sees 2 cores, detects 2 different temperatures for 2 GPU-s...in 7 only one...I am now back on Vista...although i must say i had issues installing 196.21 drivers on Vista as well...now im using 195.62 version and that one works great on Vista..previous ones also...

But now i kinda think problem is a bit wider...because i was trying whole day yesterday with 7 and any driver version (from 185.85-196.21)...even driver from windows update failed...There is just something wrong in communication between GPU and windows 7...I did some exploration inside BIOS but didn't find anything useful there...

I found out on several forums people have problems installing GTX295 drivers on windows 7...i think its same problem for all but kinda manifests in different ways...some have BSOD, some chrashes, freezes etc...

Well i managed to install some drivers on 7 (with lot of pain and time)...and be able to use Nnvida control panel and stuff...but performance was twitchy even in windows...not as near as fluid as on Vista (for example AERO on both and minimize/maximize some window > animation/fading effect on 7 is twitchy)...In games, for example WOW i loose at around 15-20fps...

Is there maybe some BIOS setting which makes 7 unhappy...? I was considering maybe that ACPI 2.0 support thing had something to do with it...its disabled by default (most of my BIOS settings are default)...but turning it on and installing windows changed nothing...
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b $ Windows 7
February 14, 2010 12:08:08 PM

Have you tried the 196.34 drivers?
February 14, 2010 3:26:18 PM

I haven't...tbh i didn't even know for that one...Will do...but chances are slim something different will happen...It's hard to belive that version differs that much from current 196.21...
February 14, 2010 4:06:07 PM

Nothing ofc...but i am sceptic...Cus GTX295 is not a new card any more...and windows 7 also isn't that new any more...and there were many driver versions since its release and some of those would already fix this...

Anywho...will do it now...and in about 2 hours i think ill post here 1 more negative result...:s
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b $ Windows 7
February 14, 2010 4:10:35 PM

If you do download that driver from Guru's, whilst you are there why not download Rivatuner and it's gadget that way you can monitor each GPU whilst you are gaming or just browsing the web.
February 14, 2010 5:11:38 PM

Fresh new 7...installed MBO chipset, and now on GPU driver and its stuck on "installing driver components" part..."The system has not been modified...try again later bla bla bla..."close wizard...
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b $ Windows 7
February 14, 2010 5:26:19 PM

Is W7 the only OS you have tried or have access to?
February 14, 2010 7:06:59 PM

I was till now on Vista x64 ultimate...and have XPsp3 but i haven't tried that one at all on my machine since it can see only half of my RAM...anywho...those are my options...

I managed to install 195.62...only that one...it kinda went normally...everything seems fine...WIS can see both cores etc...

Installed all drivers...windows performance is not as fluid as Vista...but i talked to some people...seems like its just the way 7 works...Performance indexing seems high...everything is above 7.5 except disk which i can understand why...GPU is 7.8...

Anywho...195.62 seems the only one willing to install/work...tried WOW...didn't see any FPS loss except maybe a bit slower loading time...everything seems fine now...till when is an open question...

Thnx for all advices...
!