Sign in with
Your question

Will AMD out perform Intel in the future?

Last response: in CPUs

Do you think that AMD will beat Intel in CPU performance in the future like ATI beat NVIDIA?

Total: 46 votes (9 blank votes)

• Yes, in 2011
  • 28 %
  • Yes, in 2012
  • 9 %
  • Yes, but I can't guess when
  • 44 %
  • No, never
  • 22 %
April 30, 2010 11:00:18 PM

i made a mistake in last poll !!! this poll will be going to hot :D 
plz say your reason!!!!! :sol: 
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 11:01:41 PM

Poll is closed alfred. :D 
April 30, 2010 11:10:26 PM

whyyyyyyyyyyyy?
Related resources
April 30, 2010 11:23:54 PM

in my opinion i prefer the intel over AMD. and intel has the upper hand in performance and apparently will still be ahead...
April 30, 2010 11:33:59 PM

Why have a poll? Both companies have roadmaps published and Intel is going to be the performance leader at least through 2012. Is it some kind of trick to expose people for not being able to read or look at a chart?
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 11:47:45 PM

Well, the poll kinda dumb as there are plenty other threads/poles that ask this same exact question. :whistle: 

And normally ends with flaming, thread being closed because people will argue which is better, ect, ect.

a b à CPUs
April 30, 2010 11:57:31 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if AMD vs intel/intel vs AMD polls were automatically closed by the forum scripts lol. :D 
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2010 12:03:26 AM

spoofedpacket said:
Why have a poll? Both companies have roadmaps published and Intel is going to be the performance leader at least through 2012. Is it some kind of trick to expose people for not being able to read or look at a chart?

Not quite a certainty. Intel will be ahead at least till the release of Bulldozer. Who knows at that point. Too many unknowns.
May 1, 2010 3:22:15 AM

maybe it got closed because it was a rhetorical question...
May 1, 2010 3:34:07 AM

For top-end gaming, Intel's better. Although, the new Phenom II x6 cores are the best value for ~$200 and ~$300 price ranges. The 1090T can beat an i7 920 at $309 and free shipping at Newegg.
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2010 4:12:47 AM

Alfred_i said:
whyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Because you didn't enter an end date and time and there's no default. I'll fix it in a second. I'll also change the thread title because it's flame bait and doesn't reflect the poll question anyway.
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2010 4:14:09 AM

The title of this topic has been edited by Randomizer
May 1, 2010 6:45:54 AM

AMD has a bunch of new architectures coming out next year and promise some very good results, much better than current Thuban and Deneb solutions currently available, Intel has not really released anything for us to expect much new in 2011, but i'm still looking around for hint's on Intel's upcoming's as well.

EDIT!!!@!@#$%^&*(

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE POINT ME TO A Intel roadmap?

Edit2: sorry for caps, left it on :o 
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2010 8:10:14 PM

intel spends a lot in r & d.. so they most often than not come out with excellent products... so i guess it'll be though for amd to get ahead of them..
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2010 9:02:26 PM

Unless history repeats itself, it looks to be intel.
May 1, 2010 9:21:59 PM

well you cant really tell, but intel sells more than amd atm thus they are making more money on their chips, but AMD on the other hand has ATI and their new 5xxx generation is doing very good, so they are making alot of money, and i wont be surprised if they go ahed of intel, but im sure its not gonna be anytime soon.

intel they have much more powerful cpus than the i7 980x but because there is no competition they are holding back, they also do have more adnvanced chips but again because of being no competition on the market they are holding back.

i do however like to see amd going ahed of intel or at least 1-1 so we can see price drops, that will get us to get more bang for the buck specially in this time of economy.
May 1, 2010 9:24:40 PM

Quote:
Will Chevy outperform Ford in the future? Let me get my crystal ball.

Mod's please enter this one up for the stupidest post/threads on this forum thread.

the threads like this that cause amd and intel have compete with togheter.if that never be made the most performance in cpu is pentium in intel and athlon in amd.so be quiet!! :pfff: 
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 1, 2010 9:49:07 PM

AMD may pull ahead of Intel with Bulldozer, but I can't predict the future so it's possible even Bulldozer can't beat I7. Honestly I expect Bulldozer to be better, but we can't say for sure, than Sandy Bridge will make it even harder for AMD to take the lead back.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 1, 2010 10:07:49 PM

A few years ago Athlon 64 dominated pentium 4 .
AMD can be more than competitive

Also consider we are not so far away from the end of silicon cpu , and after that a third player could emerge with technology patents that wipe both intel and amd off the financial map .
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2010 11:51:18 PM

Im with loneninja and outlander on this. it can go either way. Although i do expect AMD to take the performance lead sooner or later. When will it happen and for how long is another question.
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 12:54:57 AM

I hope that sometime in the future AMD will take the performance crown. And I think bulldozer will be AMD's best chance in the near future. Since it is a new arch but so is sandy which it will be competing against. I would not be surprised if AMD takes the lead with it. I would also not be surprised if AMD does not take the lead with it.
May 2, 2010 1:13:41 AM

I'd be surprised if anything really changed because the only time when AMD was on top was when Intel really, really screwed up with "HeatBurst". I don't think it'll happen again
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 1:23:52 AM

uncfan_2563 said:
I'd be surprised if anything really changed because the only time when AMD was on top was when Intel really, really screwed up with "HeatBurst". I don't think it'll happen again

Hmm, what happen in the past can happen again. ;)  it just may be a while before it happens again.

Although, Netbrust arch isn't as hot as some people claim to be. still hotter than the average cpu though.
May 2, 2010 1:25:40 AM

One thing is certain however. If AMD does get on top again, they need to capitalize on it. They were lazy when they had the advantage in the Athlon 64 days
May 3, 2010 8:40:05 PM

amd overheats more frequently. am i wrong?
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 8:46:50 PM

I feel like they need to go back and forth or we are all screwed. When AMD was king did you expect them to stay there, no.
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 8:49:00 PM

jeyd02 said:

tell that to my old netburst 2.8ghz pentium 4 and my 3.4ghz pentium D 965, it is anyones guess who is going to be ontop at any point in time, like right now amd is ontop in the gfx market, i thought fermi would be such a evergreen crusher, but its not even close tdp for tdp, so this thread is just a pointless flamewar as all the other vs threads

personally i think bulldozer will be roughly nehalem with a better tdp, so sandy will win, but amd might surprise us with another fx60, so only time will tell, but even though they are behind on arch, i really hope they can gain marketshare against intel, we really dont want to give amd a reason to start selling cpus for $1000 again, i would like to see an octocore bulldozer at 3.2ghz and 95watts tdp, really also cant wait to see what fusion does for the mobile market
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2010 8:50:45 PM

jeyd02 said:

Hmmm... I would have to say yes. Maybe in the far past that would be true but today neither side really overheats more than the other.

!