Megnetic screwdriver destroyed my gpu

markuk1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
hi

just wondering if any one could tell me if its possible that my magnetic screwdriver has destroyed my gpu.
i was removing the gpu from the case and there was a screw right beside the gpu pcb and the screwdriver got stuck too the pcb for a second or two and now it doesnt work it runs the fan and i think windows boots up but there is no signal from any of the inputs now dvi/hdmi/dp

would the oven trick fix this problem!!

trigg

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012

Here is a few questions/things to try:
Did you have anything plugged into the computer at the time you removed it?
Have you taken it out and put it back in? To make sure no dirt or particles have fallen into the pci-e port?
Tried re-installing the drivers for your graphics card?
Install the GPU in another pci-e port (if your mobo has one).

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Did you unplug it? Did you mess with it while it was turned on? There isn't much on there that magnetic would effect at all that I can think of.

Do like trigg said and also try blowing the thing out with a can of compressed air. The PCI-e slots and the video card and try swapping slots and if it needs a 6 or 8 pin connector make sure it's plugged in.

G

first thing i was ever told about putting a computer together is to avoid using a magnetic screw driver.

magnetism and electronics do not mix. once it's dead from the exposure, even jesus christ can't bring it back to life.