I have deleted the partition on my new hard drive, Can I repartition it or is th

niallwatson90

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Hi

I bought a new hard drive its a Seagate 1.5 TB sata. I plugged it into my PC along-side my original hard drive which has windows 7 on it and runs fine. So I start the new 1.5TB HD in my pc with the original HD plugged in also and its starts up fine when i went to my computer it was not there, I then went to properties to see if it was finding it in hardware. It said it was connected fine. So i got my mate to format it for me to NTFS. That was fine it came up on my computer now I sent my first file to the new 1.5TB HD and it said it was gonna take 3 hours the file was only 2GB. So cut a long story short I booted XP onto the 1.5TB HD and deleted the partition and now it comes up saying checking HD environment and sticks on that screen?

So what I really want to know is that, Is this 1.5TB hard drive broken forever and un-fixable? Or can I partition it again?

please help

cheers Niall Watson

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Go to Administrator Tools then to Computer Management. Then click "Disk Management" on the left.

Here you should see all your drives, you can make/delete partitions and other stuff. Also when the HDD did not show up you go here and "initialize" the HDD.

Hope that helps.

niallwatson90

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
when i start the computer now with the 1.5TB plugged in it does not start says Master Sec status bad please backup and remove. cant start pc with the 1.5TB plugged in?

should i try it on another pc and try it there.

also when i switch the sata connections around from one HD to another when the computer is off, it says no boot manger please ctrl alt Delete?

so think I should return it or try it in another machine

Unplug the original hard drive. Connect the new 1.5TB drive. Insert the OS disc. Boot into the BIOS, and set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device. Save and exit the BIOS. When it restarts, you'll see a prompt to 'press any key.' Do so at that time. This will boot off the OS disc, and allow you to delete and/or create partitions. Make sure to change the first boot device back to the hard drive.

You could also boot into the repair console, and use the 'format' command to wipe out the drive.

When done, disconnect the 1.5TB drive, and connect the original drive. Then try booting off that drive, to make sure it's back to normal.

niallwatson90

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
ok did as aford10 said i used a vista 32bit OS disk to boot it. it showed the grey windows loading bar then went really slowly through the installation windows up until the window that it wants you to select the HD to install, the HD was there i selected it then it said after a long time there has been an error wich i stupidly forgot to write down. so here I am.

how do you boot into the repair console, and use the "format" command?

and i have an XP installation disk a vista 32bit installation disk a windows 7 32bit installation disk. and finally a 64bit windows 7 upgrade disk which i used for putting windows 7 64bit onto my original HD

What disk is best to boot from to solve this problem I have?

niallwatson90

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
ok so tried booting from XP CD, and pressed R when it asked me to press ENTER to continue with the installation. The next screen I got was examining 1.5TB then next to that it said o ID and something atpi after that another blue screen saying Examining startup environment...

So what do I do now. I dont know much about this? I used XP installation disk in the first place to wipe the HD clean as it never worked first time round. So can I could re-partition it and then re-format it?

sorry to drag this on but I am stuck?
Is that possable