Sign in with
Your question

Need help making a home server.

Last response: in Storage
March 4, 2012 6:44:06 PM

Hello,
I am trying to make a home server for my family and I. We will stream movies and music to our XBOX 360. Also, we will have our computers back up to the server as well. I have no idea where to start with this project. Thanks a bundle. I

More about : making home server

a b G Storage
March 4, 2012 7:03:50 PM

First of all, what's your budget and Is it like a Storage server or video editing server or what?

If it's storage, buy like 6 of 2TB HDD a decent CPU like i3 2100 with 4GB RAM and a motherboard with 6+ sata slot with a case to wholes 6+ HDD with a fan that cooles front HDD...
m
l
March 4, 2012 7:21:34 PM

My god. Those specs look expensive!

I was looking at FreeNAS and Windows Home Server 2011. I read on lifehacker I would be able to outfit an old computer into a server. I guess that explains my budget :p 
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 4, 2012 9:49:40 PM

jar50972 said:
My god. Those specs look expensive!

I was looking at FreeNAS and Windows Home Server 2011. I read on lifehacker I would be able to outfit an old computer into a server. I guess that explains my budget :p 

You could, just make a 1 core cpu computer into a storage server by just putting like 1-3Tb in it
m
l
March 4, 2012 9:55:29 PM

FreeNAS is awesome. I run it at home and it works really well for backups. I am running it on a retired computer with (2) 1 TB drives in it. FreeNAS itself runs from a 2GB thumb drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
March 5, 2012 6:21:58 PM

for basic NAS you can spend $99.00 for this BASIC NAS:
http://www.datoptic.com/2bay-nas.html

or just us freenas to buil yourself a NAS
BTW it's a awesome NAS OS - Totally agree with extremepcs.
Same here both runs as home and at work

Mine are base on the hardware raid SPM394 from DATOptic

I built for my client a 40TB base on FreeNAS and SPM394
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265641-32-40tb-server...

This server only consumes 180W :-) Talking about green
m
l
!