Sign in with
Your question

Bad SLI performance, new puta..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 13, 2010 5:06:25 PM

Hi

I bought a new pc last week and it came today first thing I noticed is the two cards I ordered didn't even have an SLI bridge connection on them, after hours of "No signal" from my monitors it finally worked when I manually restarded it hitting the button Mid-boot-up, first thing I did was update the drivers for my cards then I tested them on 3DMark06.

My assumption was that the system I was buying (not OC at all) was going to give me about the same out put fps and quality wise as one with a GTX 275. So I spent money on a Beefy power supply and SLI mother board, problem i'm having is the PC is recognizing the cards, I have SLI enabled in Nvidia but the scores are not what I have reviewed on tom's hardware infact I'm only getting around the scores of a single card. My Cards are palit gts 250 1gb.

My 3DMARK06 scores:

3D 12883
SM2 4507
HDr 6486

I should be getting around 20k (for 3D) and the rest should be higher aswell.

My system:

CPU (Quad-Core)Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66GHz 1333FSB 6MB L2
HD 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
MB (E8x00 & QX9x00 Series Support) Asus P5N-D nForce 750i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2
RAM 4GB (2x2GB) PC6400 DDR2/800
PS 850 Watts Power Supplies
GFX NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1GB 16X PCI Express x2

I'm feeling pretty bummed, I could have gotten a better CPU and more RAM saving on the power supply and Mainboard with a single 275 and still be getting much better results. Can anyone help me?
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2010 5:22:29 PM

First, 3dmark doesn't show anything useful and should be ignored.

Second, my system with 2 8800 GTS 512mb at about the same clocks (meaning they are the same cards as yours) gets about the same score.

Third, 3dmark is VERY dependent on the CPU, if you OC'd it to 3.6 GHz+ you would see a huge magical and inexplicable increase in score all around, just another reason why 3dmark does not count towards real world performance.

Load up Crysis or Far Cry 2 or another resource hog of a game and post those scores with SLI on and SLI off.
February 13, 2010 5:30:20 PM

Hi AMW, firstly thanks for the fast reply and confirming my thoughts about the CPU, I had tried to find an answer using google and found what you have said.

However iv'e just finished installing Empire total war and supprise supprise it's all messy, loads of textures are missing blah - another thing I didn't mention was that they sent me windows vista when I payed extra for a windows 7 upgrade, they didn't even give me the disk either.

The problems started when I was getting "no signal" errors from both of my LCD monitors on both VGA and DVI inputs ( I have to spent a good hour fart-arsing around before I get the screen to work.)

As I said about the game faults, I have no choice but to send it back and demand that I get cards with an SLI bridge connector and windows 7 oh and a pc that works this time!!!! ahh my thumb hurts from fiddling with the connectors for so long it's been a nightmare the past day and a half.

I'll be sending it back asap - thanks again.
!