Help: Upgrade to Budget GPU

Hi all:)

I'm quite new to the world of gaming. Looking to buy a graphics card and i need some help. Recently i bought a new CPU:

Amd Athlon 2 X2 250
Asus M2N-68AM Plus
2gig X1 ram DDR2 800

I'm thinking of buying a new GPU now. Pls suggest a good budget GPU.

And my smps is 450w. Should i upgrade it to a 600w to run a GPU? MY smps doesnt have 6pin pci-e supply :( only one sata power cable and one 5-pin ATA cable. Can i use the current smps or should i upgrade? And if i upgrade should i go for a brand like CoolerMaster or will the cheaper ones (available at 1/4th the price) do?

Thanks in advance.
12 answers Last reply
More about help upgrade budget
  1. What's your budget for a PSU+GPU? You could buy an HD5670 at $100, and you won't need a new PSU.
  2. What is the native resolution of your monitor and how much do you have to spend?
    Most low end cards will be ok on even a sketchy 450w PSU.
  3. I currently own a 15" CRT :( but i might upgrade soon but no plans as of now.
    So resolution is 1024x768.

And budget is around $80 GPU+PSU. If i dont need a new PSU then i can go for a better GPU. But i'm really clueless abt the PSU power supply stuff. How do i get the 6pin supply from the single 5-pin ata cable?
  4. You don't need a PSU. Just get a $95 HD5670.
  5. With only $80 to spend just keep your current PSU. If you need to fit a PSU in that budget the only cards you'll be able to afford are very weak.
    Are you sure you can't stretch the budget a lil? This would be very nice;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127452
    much better than the cards available at $80 and should be ok for a 450w psu.
  6. Even a 5770 would be fine on your PSU since it consumes less energy than a 4870 or 4850 I believe.

A 5670 is great for your budget range and performs close to a 4830 or 8800/9800GT
  7. The HD5670 is slightly more powerful than a 9600GT. That HD4770 is a much better card for gaming and is $7 cheaper than any of the HD5670s on newegg.
  8. I cannot stretch my budget further :(

And i know a person selling HD 4850 (1.5 years old). I might be able to strike a bargain at $80. Shall i go for it? And since it's a high-end card does it require a better PSU and cooling unit?

And 9600gt looks to be inside budget. Does it render high end games?
  9. The HD4850 would be nice and may be ok on your PSU. How many amps does the PSU claim to have on the +12v rail(there's a chart on the side of the PSU.) What brand is it?
  10. vishwap said:
    I cannot stretch my budget further :(

And i know a person selling HD 4850 (1.5 years old). I might be able to strike a bargain at $80. Shall i go for it? And since it's a high-end card does it require a better PSU and cooling unit?

And 9600gt looks to be inside budget. Does it render high end games?

I believe someone on the forums is selling a 4850 for $75?
  11. Cant check the amps now since i'm at my friends place. What ratings do u recommend?

And it's UMAX npower (Not sure if it's a brand). It Came quite cheap.

And thanks for all the replies everyone :) and for being super fast :)
  12. Quote:
    I believe someone on the forums is selling a 4850 for $75?

Ya i checked that. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Graphics Product