Which mobo for future computer?

jg3220

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Hello, all.
Ok so I'm a complete novice (well not complete, but treat me that way) at building computers, and I wish to build my first. All I know right now is I want to go with the Intel Core i7 920 processor, so... which is the best brand, which motherboard is best, etc. Suggestions?

Solution

jg3220

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Well I do want crossfirex for it, and as for general goals of the system, I want a solid (and compatible) board that wont burn out on me any time soon. I plan to take great care of my entire system, with no overclocking, but i still want an online gaming pc with excellent speed (and again solid/reliable).

I just found an MSI that's within budget. MSI X58 Pro-E. Whatcha think?

Solution

jg3220

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
This last board looks decent. Well, I have another preliminary question. I plan on using crossfirex, like i said, but also need at most 2-3 pcie 2.0 x16, and 1-2 pcie 2.0 x1, and maybe a slot for a tv tuner down the road (not necessary), so is there going to be a micro-atx board with the space for these, and still have enough space for 6-8 gb ram? or am i gonna have to go atx?

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
micro atx usually or only has 4 expansion slots
and high end graphics card usually take up two slots so if ur going to crossfire
there wont be space for anything else
and the two graphics card would be so close to each other that heat build up would prop be an issue...........

^ has it right - you can look at images on Newegg and verify which 4 slots you will use/lose when crossfire/sli 2 boards. You'll likely have choices to make. Normally on-board sound and USB devices can be substituted for expansion boards.

jg3220

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
huh. ok then, I might not do crossfire, it was just a thought. so twoboxer, you're saying that normally the on-board sound card and usb devices are good enough to use for things like online and offline gaming?

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
he meant that some micro atx motherboards can have more than 4 expansion slots i guess... o_O
but sacrificing sound card and a couple of usb ports
but on board sound cards are usually more than enough for online gaming...
its more about what speakers you buy and not the sound card :D
and i dont know what usb has to do with online gaming except for plugging a joystick or something but its prob enough too

Sorry if I wasn't clear - you didn't say what you planned to put in those expansion slots you listed. I was trying to say that most everything you would install could just as easily be done via USB - wireless and TV tuner, for example. Most folks don't need a sound card given today's onboard sound, but with care even an mATX board in SLI/crossfire might hold one. An ATX should have no problem, though more cards mean more heat and less air flow.

jg3220

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
ya i guess that's true. i don't know i was shooting for micro, but full atx is fine, too. im just looking to be practical with space, power consumption, etc... thats why i was looking for pci expansion cards to save space, but usb works too.