Good amd cpu for gaming?

Solution

Then yeah there is a canada computers in ottawa:
canadacomputers.com

and NCIX.com

They are my favourites. If you order online with NCIX, just pricematch anything cheaper and you get all your parts for less.
Ummm.... you could have just dropped by your local store and asked them... ? But anyway,
The phenom II 955 BE is the CPU to get. 3.2GHz and 4 cores. Goes for about $150-160.

But really, gaming doesn't just depend on your CPU. Also depending on the rest of your setup, the 955 could be overkill (more than often is) or not enough in extreme cases.

If you asked your friend "I need a gaming CPU?" and he said you want more than 3GHz and at least 4 cores, that's not really an informed decision. If that's what you did, perhaps instead you should give us your system specs and we can help you pick a good CPU for your pricerange and the games you play such that it will not hold back the performance of your video card at your given resolution.

However, if you just want to go out and grab the phenom II 955 BE, you can be assured that it will be at a good price and certainly will serve you well under most circumstances.

MrRichard

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
I must say, the new Phenom x6 are great for the price, runs on AM3 motherboard and beats the listed CPUs and an i7 920. You can buy one on Newegg for ~$200 plus free shipping. I wrote a review on these CPUs at the link in my signature.

crazygamer95

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Or I just can leave my new/old mother board-_- socket 775 and buy
-Model-
Brand Intel
Series Core 2 Quad
Model BX80569Q9650
-CPU Socket Type-
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
-Tech Spec-
Core Yorkfield
Multi-Core Quad-Core
Name Core 2 Quad Q9650
Operating Frequency 3.0GHz
FSB 1333MHz
L2 Cache 12MB
Manufacturing Tech 45 nm
64 bit Support Yes
Hyper-Threading Support No
Virtualization Technology Support Yes
Voltage 0.85V – 1.3625V
Thermal Design Power 95W
Cooling Device Heatsink and Fan included :bounce: 12 mb L2 cache !

That could work. Just make sure that your motherboard supports the CPU. Check the manufacturers website. If they do support it, you might need a bios update.

crazygamer95

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
yes ty its socket 775 prefect! :) With Zalman CNPS9900 LED CPU Cooler
main.jpg

If you were talking about this review (since your link is just to the home page):
http://teknicallyspeaking.co.cc/hardware/phenom-ii-x6-a-6-core-cpu-for-199/

Then it is not much of a review. You just provide some basic specs and state where it stands performance wise. You don't even go into detail as to what it performs better in. And from what I have read, it does not perform any better (in fact sometimes worse) than the 965 in gaming. Most games do not utilize more than 3 cores, which is the main reason for this.
Here are some full reviews:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/31407-amd-phenom-ii-x6-1055t-1090t-six-core-processors-review.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-890fx,2613.html

That $200 will only buy you a multiplier locked 1055t at 2.8GHz. Yes a great deal, but right now, not the best for gaming. It will get there though so if you intend to keep this new CPU for 3+ years...games will get more heavily threaded.

crazygamer95

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I got a problem how at the hell I can check my spec if my motherboard from Acer And my Pc Gatewat DX-4820 from Acer too.
Why I bought a ready pc? why ?-_______-I always dreaming to build my own one Acer is sucks like a Dell :??: :cry: :cry:

Ah you didn't mention you had an OEM computer. Well, there will be no bios updates for sure. But basically to check if the quad will work, find your model in the help section on the Acer site and take a look at the CPUs the model came with.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
a good motherboard would be the gigabyte ga-ma770-ud3, great cheap AM2-AM3 board.

If your running DDR3 RAM, you could consider the ga-ma790gpt-ud3h, fast cheap boards with plenty of future upgradability.

I myself am running a AMD Phenom II X4 955BE, just overclocked to 3.6GHz, saved me some money.

lol bestbuy owns futureshop. They bought it.

Where do you live? If there is a Canada Computers near you they have decent prices. Also, if you order online, NCIX.com is really good. They are based in Alberta so... no PST. Plus pricematching is convenient.

crazygamer95

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

Yes im living in Canada Ottawa but I came from Russia

Then yeah there is a canada computers in ottawa:
canadacomputers.com

and NCIX.com

They are my favourites. If you order online with NCIX, just pricematch anything cheaper and you get all your parts for less.

Solution