ATI 3870 X2 issue

sanityvoid

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Hello everyone.

I have an issue, or at least I think I do.

I have an ATI 3870 X2 and it only seems to work on one core. Both Rivatuner and GPU-Z both say only one core is working when I play Batman: Arkum Asylum.

Any way to find out for sure if the card is totally hosed? I bought on ebay so I think my chances are pretty good that I got the shaft...

Thanks in advance

jasobnd

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
If you bought from ebay i assume its second hand???

I had a 3870 XT GDDR4 which i got from ocuk but after about 3 years it just packed up. i removed the fan to see if there was a heating issue and found a whole pot of gunk covering everything underneath the heatsink. I removed it all and put on a more sensible amount but this didn't help. I tried driver installs and CCC updates but nothing works. In the end i got myself a nice new 5770 PCS+ which works just fine.

If nforce4max's idea doesn't work then you should try to RMA like he said of just get a new one. To buy a 3870 X2 with todays market seems a bit strange when you can buy a more future proof 5XXX card with similar / better power at just a little extra.

sanityvoid

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Well I run a few older games that it actually works better on, but in CCC the option for crossfire is not available (darkened out). As far as ebay, it was a pretty good deal for how well it does versus how much some of the other newer cards are.

I guess I'll have to try option one and see if there is too much goop on the card.

Thanks for the help!