Sign in with
Your question

Hello there System still wont boot BOOOO!

Last response: in Systems
February 23, 2010 12:36:23 PM

I posted for help a while ago but dont know what happened to it as i cant find it now,

Basically i know you lot must be sick of nubbins like me asking for help. i dont really know much about the physical side of computing. Basically the system below wont boot.

BenQ G2420HDBL 24" Widescreen LED Monitor
Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
Gainward GeForce 9800 GT Green Edition 1024MB PCI-Express GDDR3 PCI- Express Graphics Card
Geil Value 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C7 1333MHz Dual Channel
AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 545 3.00GHz (Socket AM3) - Retail
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM
OcUK Brushed Aluminium Blu-Ray ROM Slot Loading Drive - Black (Retail)
NZXT M59 Mid-Tower Windowed Case
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Silent SLI Certified Modular Power Supply

I originally had a 400 watt supply so ordered a 600 watt after being laughed at by technical support as it wouldn't supply enough power and still wont boot,

i still couldn't hear any beeps and found out that i didn't have a speaker (great..) ripped one out my old computer and now i get a long beep followed by a long beep and so on which i read up means DRAM error,

not sure what to do now any ideas ?

Leds on , fans spin, hd light flashes , long continuous beeps, no output to screen
thanks

More about : system wont boot boooo

February 23, 2010 12:55:02 PM

Have you tried EVERYTHING in the "READ before posting about boot problems" sticky (link in my signature)? If not, go there and do EVERY step. Do NOT SKIP any steps, as all of them are important for troubleshooting. After doing EVERY step, continue with the following.

Sounds to me like you've got bad RAM. Try it in another build to see if the sticks cause it to not boot. If you don't have another build, RMA it.
February 23, 2010 1:00:42 PM

I have tried everything in the list which is relevant to what i have, and still i have nee idea whats going on. i did get some of the wiring for the front lights and inputs wrong but i have fixed that and now it is all correct.
DDR3 wont work in a old dell will it ?
its just the problem that i dont have enough to send the ram back as i ordered of the interweb
Related resources
February 23, 2010 1:05:01 PM

Not unless the Dell uses DDR3, which is unlikely. I would still go through everything. You never know if you missed something minor...
February 23, 2010 1:18:34 PM

The thing is i have done everything , apart from stock cooler stuff as i didnt have those parts or the thermal paste as i didnt have any, i have read through everything and everything is connected , and have tried booting with the ram in the correct slots and tried booting with them in the other two slots, and tried each one individually in each slot. Just getting so frustrated as i have to borrow money of friends and family to get this working and it still isnt working after being assured by so many people it would be easy as pie

DDR£ mobo wont take DDR2 or 1 will it ?
February 23, 2010 1:27:25 PM

Nope. You need to match it. And it easy as long as you get working parts.

To be honest, I have no idea what you can try without just RMAing things,but I'm not the best troubleshooter here. If shortstuff_mt doesn't chime in soon, I'd send him a PM. He's the guy who wrote the troubleshooting sticky...
February 23, 2010 1:32:33 PM

Will see if i can squeeze some more money from my familiars, but many thanks for your help and if he can help would be amazing, need this computers to start working soon before i start my games course lol
February 23, 2010 2:43:50 PM

jackisbadatbuilding said:
The thing is i have done everything , apart from stock cooler stuff as i didnt have those parts or the thermal paste as i didnt have any

I'm not quite understanding the above. Do you mean you don't have a heat sink applied to the CPU? The stock heat sink should have come with thermal paste pre-applied. If you don't have a heat sink, STOP! The HSF is absolutely necessary and you'll burn up your CPU in a matter of seconds without one installed.

I'm hoping I just read your post wrong.
February 23, 2010 2:49:12 PM

I read it as the OP hasn't reseated the HSF because he didn't have any thermal paste to reapply. If that's wrong, then that's a huge problem...
February 23, 2010 3:10:37 PM

i dont really understand what your saying, my processor was a amd phenom II which came with a heat sink and fan, ?
February 23, 2010 3:20:26 PM

We're making sure that you installed the heatsink to the CPU.
February 23, 2010 3:40:12 PM

heatsink and fan and the cpu are all on properly with the triangle lined up
February 25, 2010 11:10:27 AM

bought new ram 4gb of patriot sector 5 and now it posts but wont run my system disk, to be fair it isnt a real copy
March 9, 2010 11:18:50 AM

Its all working now thank god with the new ram and a real copy of xp it now runs perfects thanks for helps
!