I7 and ASUS P6X58D-E restart loop

simplyt

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
I recently attempted to build a pc and thought I had done my research, however after running fine for several days a restart issue has overwhelmed me.

i7 950 3.06 GHz
ASUS P6X58D-E
GTX 470 1280MB GDDR5
WesternDigital SATA III 640G HD
Rosewill 800W ps
vented case with 7 fans (plus CPU fan)

RAM: originally was running 12G of Geil 1600 MHz (2Gx6) GVP312GB1600C9HC. When restart loop error began. Checked ASUS approved list and found not approved RAM, replaced thinking this was the issue.

Replace RAM with Kingston 1666 on approved list, however my local vendor only had a lower Gig (1 instead of 3). This also failed to end restart loop.

3rd RAM replacement was "exactly" as on approved list (as ASUS customer service stated was the issue, not the board) Patriot 1333MHz 6G (3x 2G) PVT36G1333ELK.
As you may have surmised this has not ended the error.

On boot MOBO memory error led illuminates. I have depressed Mem OK button and attempted to access BIOS to reset to default, with success on several occasions. However this does not improve stability.

ASUS customer service had me test each ram stick in all channels in combination (blue only per Intel specs). I was told that unless there was actual physical damage to the board it was not the board. They suggested that it must be the CPU.

I contacted Intel customer service who stated that the issue was the RAM running at higher than 1.5 volts. And that I should contact the RAM manufacturer to lower the voltage.

Patriot (third RAM) nicely stated through email that the product is meant to run at 1333MHz at 1.6v and if I cared to the voltage could be lowered to 1.5.

Tonight I attempted to adjust the voltage to see if I could gain any stability out of this machine, I believe a four day old baby is more likely to finish a marathon over my machine staying on for five minutes.

It restarts while I am in BIOS, it restarts while restarting...endless loop of aggravation. I understand I am a newbie at the build so am asking for the kindness of strangers to end my own personal loop of torture. I really just want to play civ 5, only reason I built this machine.

Is the board bad? Is the CPU bad? Are both bad? I believe I carefully selected compatible components, if not please dont hesitate to correct me.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

"Wish I still had that KayPro"

simplyt

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
PSU is Rosewill 800W LIB800

Thermal Paste is Antec Thermal Grease

CPU cooler is the accompanying Intel Fan/heatsink F10T12MS1Z7 12V included with CPU.

Thank you

Will try to get the PSU tested today

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

ARTIC SILVER 5! lol, best out there x)

you mean you're using the stock fan?? D:!!

Did you ever check your cpu temps when it was running? =P

simplyt

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
Thank you for the advice. I was not watching when my friend applied the thermal paste and can only hope at this time that it was applied correctly.

As I was concerned with overheating, burnt a pc years ago, I purchased a fully vented case(full mesh body) with a total of 8 fans. I monitored the heat for the first few days while running and never reached over 60C. The air around the pc was actually cooler then the air in my home.

I am on the verge of my 30 days so am going to employ a local professional to first test the psu then run a full diag to ensure all new components are fully functional prior to end of RMA.

The wiring harness is fully encased in non-conductive mesh and I have ensured all contacts are free of inappropriate contact points, ie shorts.

Thank you for your time and assistance. I will post my results from the diag.

Gekko Shadow

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

Awesome let us know how that went. =)

And yeah, just to be safe next time make sure you're buddy applies the thermal paste correctly x)

Also, just a tip, the more fans you have does not always mean the best air flow. When you purchase fans try to look at the RPM and total CFM they blow. Alot of fans have high RPM - this does NOT mean more air - just fater spinning. You can have a fan @ 1500 blowing more air than one @ 2500. Now the CFM is more important as it is the total 'Cubic Feet per Minute' of air it can travel (ie. total amount of air pulling in from the front and pushing out the back). So whenever you purchase a fan compare the CFM.

simplyt

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
I had my machine completely tested, every piece of hardware. Turns out that Gekko was absolutely right on the money, soon followed by tx-jose. Turns out that the thermal paste was not applied correctly, my friend applied it like calking around the edges not on surfaces. After the tech cleaned and reapplied thermal grease machine ran solid for three days straight under test conditions. Not a single glitch or error.

I would have posted both Gekko and Tx-Jose as best answer but Gekko posted first.

Thank you for your assistance with this frustrating issue.

tx-jose

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
i was rusty when i built my current PC last week and i had to double make sure with gekko lmao.

im surprised the CPU didn't fry cause of the heat lol. its not meant to seal its meant to allow more contact

TRENDING THREADS