Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New CPU for OCing

Last response: in Overclocking
December 8, 2012 4:07:52 AM

Hello guys, :hello: 

I'm kind of a newbie if it's about overclocking. I'm planning to replace my i3 2120 with a i5 2500k, i7 2600k, or i7 2700k. I mostly play and rendering. Here is my system before I start asking questions.

- HIS 6850 IceQ X Turbo 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E DP/2xDVI/HDMI
- ASUS P8Z68-V LX
- 4x - PNY Optima 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

So my questions are...

What CPU do you guys suggest if I do those 2 things mainly?
Will my 1333Mhz rams influence the OC on any of the listed CPUs?
CORSAIR H50 or Hyper 212 Plus as aftermarket cooler? Which one of them gives me better OC results?
Basically that's all, I can't think of anything else right now.

Please help me. :) 

More about : cpu ocing

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2012 5:35:32 AM

The K series CPU's are all unlocked multiplier which means you can overclock the processor without adjusting anything else like the FSB or ram. So basically you would be running a higher multiplier.

My 2600k is set to 40x which runs from the base clock of the FSB at 100 which results in 4Ghz. They are a lot easier to overclock but takes more learning in the long run.

As for cooling, if you're not wanting to spend more than $50-$75, get a Hyper212 which is very capable. My chip runs at -0.500v offset at 4Ghz and doesn't break past 60C for anything.

If you're not doing a lot of rendering and video editing the 2500k is just as potent as the rest. The differences aren't major but the 2600k/2700k are a bit better at the number crunching. Either way you can't go wrong.

However, before you overclock a Sandy Bridge, I suggest you do a LOT of reading and focus on these things.

Fixed and Offset voltage
LLC Load Line Calibration
Thermal paste applications on the Hyper212

With that all said, will my 2600k go faster, of course but I have no need to go beyond 4Ghz yet. I have ran it at 4.5Ghz stable enough for IBT for ten runs at ~70C temperatures.

However, if you're gaming and rendering, I'd actually suggest also grabbing another 4GB of ram or so. 4GB is "good enough", but it's so cheap right now you can snag a 2x2GB set of Corsair 1600mhz DDR3 for under $20 on newegg and it just doesn't make sense not to have 8GB or maybe more.

You also have the Ivy bridge CPU's out there. I'm not sure if your motherboard can support them or not. I know boards like my P67 Extreme6 had a Bios update to accept Ivy bridge processors. The Ivy bridge processors are a little more performance and usually a few dollars cheaper than the sandy. :) 

Hope this helps bud!
m
l
December 8, 2012 5:54:56 AM

steddora said:
The K series CPU's are all unlocked multiplier which means you can overclock the processor without adjusting anything else like the FSB or ram. So basically you would be running a higher multiplier.

My 2600k is set to 40x which runs from the base clock of the FSB at 100 which results in 4Ghz. They are a lot easier to overclock but takes more learning in the long run.

As for cooling, if you're not wanting to spend more than $50-$75, get a Hyper212 which is very capable. My chip runs at -0.500v offset at 4Ghz and doesn't break past 60C for anything.

If you're not doing a lot of rendering and video editing the 2500k is just as potent as the rest. The differences aren't major but the 2600k/2700k are a bit better at the number crunching. Either way you can't go wrong.

However, before you overclock a Sandy Bridge, I suggest you do a LOT of reading and focus on these things.

Fixed and Offset voltage
LLC Load Line Calibration
Thermal paste applications on the Hyper212

With that all said, will my 2600k go faster, of course but I have no need to go beyond 4Ghz yet. I have ran it at 4.5Ghz stable enough for IBT for ten runs at ~70C temperatures.

However, if you're gaming and rendering, I'd actually suggest also grabbing another 4GB of ram or so. 4GB is "good enough", but it's so cheap right now you can snag a 2x2GB set of Corsair 1600mhz DDR3 for under $20 on newegg and it just doesn't make sense not to have 8GB or maybe more.

You also have the Ivy bridge CPU's out there. I'm not sure if your motherboard can support them or not. I know boards like my P67 Extreme6 had a Bios update to accept Ivy bridge processors. The Ivy bridge processors are a little more performance and usually a few dollars cheaper than the sandy. :) 

Hope this helps bud!

Hello, thanks for your reply. You might have not seen, but I had a " 4x " before my RAM which meant that I got 16gb RAM in my PC of that model.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2012 6:04:30 AM

Ah LOL! I misread it, don't blame me! My insomnia is killing me! It's 3AM!

Either way, you can't go wrong with a Sandy/Ivy bridge. Personally I don't see the gain worth upgrading for myself, but it may be worth it to you if your board can support it. The "norm" says the following.. Sandy @ 4.2Ghz = Ivy @ 4Ghz I say pick up a processor and you'll love it. However, I'm not going to lie here, in gaming the framerate isn't going to miraculously jump from 40FPS to 80FPS from that jump. Actually that i3 isn't bad for games at all; you'll notice the performance gain in the rendering however.
m
l
December 8, 2012 7:18:08 PM

steddora said:
Ah LOL! I misread it, don't blame me! My insomnia is killing me! It's 3AM!

Either way, you can't go wrong with a Sandy/Ivy bridge. Personally I don't see the gain worth upgrading for myself, but it may be worth it to you if your board can support it. The "norm" says the following.. Sandy @ 4.2Ghz = Ivy @ 4Ghz I say pick up a processor and you'll love it. However, I'm not going to lie here, in gaming the framerate isn't going to miraculously jump from 40FPS to 80FPS from that jump. Actually that i3 isn't bad for games at all; you'll notice the performance gain in the rendering however.

I'm not blaming you and I really appreciate that your helping me at 3AM. :D 
I have read many forums that i3 is not bad for games, but still somehow it's weaker than it supposed to be in my PC. I'm using game-debate's system requirements list and whenever it says that I should be able to play for example Diablo 3 on HIGH settings, I can't even play it on LOW without screen lagging. There are many other games that I suppose to be able at HIGH resolution, but I can't.

" in gaming the framerate isn't going to miraculously jump from 40FPS to 80FPS from that jump " So you mean that my GPU should be replaced before the CPU? I thought the HIS TURBO 6850 is a pretty good GPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2012 7:32:51 PM

You could replace the processor with the i5 3570k if money is not too much of an issue...
m
l
December 8, 2012 7:46:13 PM

socialfox said:
You could replace the processor with the i5 3570k if money is not too much of an issue...

I can buy the i5 3570k, but I'm not completely sure if it would work with my MOBO.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2012 7:50:59 PM

HunBroader said:
I can buy the i5 3570k, but I'm not completely sure if it would work with my MOBO.

The 3570k is in the CPU support list but requires a Bios Update, make sure you update the bios prior to installing the 3570k and you will be good.

Take a look for yourself:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6...
m
l
December 8, 2012 8:07:15 PM

socialfox said:
The 3570k is in the CPU support list but requires a Bios Update, make sure you update the bios prior to installing the 3570k and you will be good.

Take a look for yourself:

All right, so I found out that my BIOS version is 3506 and I should have 3703. So, I'm able to use the newer generation Intel CPUs. I'm glad to know it. :D 

But, I have no idea how to update BIOS. Could you send me a good website where I could learn it or I should take my PC to a professional? Furthermore, does the i7 3770k would be better than the 3570k?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2012 8:15:29 PM

Well on the motherboard page:

1)Click on the download tab
2) Select the correct OS
3) Click the + sign next to the words BIOS
4)And Download Bios Version 4003
5) Move the downloaded file to your desktop
6) Watch this clip and skip to 1:40 (the file he clicks is the .rom file)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HMr0lLE2w4

* I tell you to skip to 1:40 because his motherboard is slightly different from yours he has the p8z68 deluxe whereas you have the p8z68-V LX which is not too different apart from the bios files.

Anyways for gaming stick with the 3570k, little to no gains in games with the 3770k.

Edit: Did not watch the entire clip, but just to add format your USB Drive and make sure the file system is Fat32.
December 8, 2012 8:36:31 PM

socialfox said:
Well on the motherboard page:

1)Click on the download tab
2) Select the correct OS
3) Click the + sign next to the words BIOS
4)And Download Bios Version 4003
5) Move the downloaded file to your desktop
6) Watch this clip and skip to 1:40 (the file he clicks is the .rom file)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HMr0lLE2w4

* I tell you to skip to 1:40 because his motherboard is slightly different from yours he has the p8z68 deluxe whereas you have the p8z68-V LX which is not too different apart from the bios files.

Anyways for gaming stick with the 3570k, little to no gains in games with the 3770k.

Edit: Did not watch the entire clip, but just to add format your USB Drive and make sure the file system is Fat32.

All right. I updated it. It was pretty easy, I thought it will be much harder. Thanks for your help. :D 

I guess I'll stick with the 3570k.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2012 8:40:57 PM

Do make sure to sell the i3-2120 to compensate for the i5-3570k.
m
l
December 8, 2012 8:44:06 PM

socialfox said:
Do make sure to sell the i3-2120 to compensate for the i5-3570k.

I'll, don't worry. :D 
m
l
December 8, 2012 8:44:14 PM

Best answer selected by HunBroader.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2012 8:52:36 PM

Yeah bios updates are easy today. Now ten or fifteen years ago; it was a hassle, especially with having to use floppies! LOL

But yeah, the 6850 isn't bad, but I'd imagine there's something underlying causing slowdowns. My friends machine running at 1920x1080 pins 60FPS on diablo 3 with all the settings at MAX. His system is simply this..

Core2Duo E8400 Stock at 3Ghz (Dual core)
4x1GB DDR2 667Mhz ram
eVGA GTX 550 Ti stock clock

Your i3 with a 6850 should easily be able to run those settings.

The 3570k is an awesome processor. You can not go wrong with it as it is one of the best on the market for gaming right now and that's for sure. The 3570k is actually going to be cheaper than the Sandy Bridge 2500k by a few dollars either way. Nothing wrong with free performance gains right?

But something tells me something isn't right with the picture I see. The 6850 is about 15-20% faster than the 550Ti. Diablo 3 isn't really that nice with AMD cards however but I thought it was patched pretty decently over the last couple patches with the AMD drivers. SO Make sure you update the drivers for your card through AMD.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rad...

I believe that's the place though I'm not really familiar with AMD cards as of late since I haven't owned one and haven't used one for very long. Also, another thing... Diablo 3 isn't very intense on hardware.. Example? My system it barely hits 20% CPU usage and since they actually made it use SLi my cards never hit over 60% usage even in the worst battles in act 4. SO in theory your system should handle the game at MAX settings even at 1920x1080.

I hope that helps a bit.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2012 8:57:11 PM

Now that steddora brings that point up you could be experiencing throttling issues if the processor is overheating. Either way grab the Hyper 212 EVO for the 3570k but make sure to keep an eye when overclocking it and raise the Voltage in small increments and run Prime 95 after you reach your goal.

Anyways kudos to Steddora for being up @ 3AM answering the thread, your also looking pretty good on the overclocking section ranking for the month of December :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2012 9:01:39 PM

Really? LOL I just found somewhere I like to browse and help others. :)  I know when I was looking into a new GPU; this community was great in helping me. So why not give back!

And the 3AM thing, I don't get it either. I haven't been sleeping very well lately LOL
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2012 9:13:12 PM

That's cool, I didn't even know about that! What's it mean/do?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2012 9:32:11 PM

steddora said:
That's cool, I didn't even know about that! What's it mean/do?

Well there is no real reward for being 1st. However people view it as a way to see how one has put time and effort (which you clearly have done). You could say it's a way to illustrate one's dedication and reputation in a category...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2012 10:06:57 PM

Ahh, coolio! I always have been an overclocker honestly. Just enjoy having new questions to investigate and work with. If I help someone get that overclock they wanted; it makes me happy!
m
l
!