Your question
Solved

I7 920/Windows 7/Changing Voltage

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2010 4:51:09 AM

Hello Tomshardware,

I have always wanted to ask this question, but never really did. Anyway every now and then, when I do serious stuff on my computer such a intense usage of Adobe Photo Shop or video editing or playing on a flight simulator I have a problem after that with my CPU voltage and temperature. See what happens is, right after a fresh boot, my CPU uses around .9 volts. After doing the intense applications I mentioned above AND closing them, to a complete idle state, my CPU gets stuck at a voltage of around 1.224 volts or so. And no matter which applications I close, it sits on that temperature and basically idles on like 45°C and sits at this high voltage of 1.224 and until I restart my PC, it will stay that way. As soon as I restart, voltage drops to normal (.9 volts) and temperatures idle at the mid-twenties as usual. Now my questions are:

Is this normal?

If this is normal, is there anyway I can crank the voltages back down to normal without doing a restart?

If this isn't normal and is actually a problem, how would I go about fixing it?

Would it be safe if I overrided the auto setting in Bios and made the voltage lower permanatly?...how would that affect performance?

Here the Specifications of my PC (Copied/Pasted from my profile):

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 D0 Bloomfield/Nehalem
RAM: OCZ Platinum 6GB Triple Channel
GPU: EVGA Nvidia e-Geforce 8800GTS 640MB
MOBO: Asus P6T
PSU: Corsair 850TX
SSD: Intel X25-M 80GB G2
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB/Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB
HSF: Cooler Master V8
CASE: Cooler Master HAF RC-932-KKN1-GP
FC: Zalman ZM-MFC1
ODD: Generic DVD/CD RW/Lightscribe
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 2333/Generic 17''
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: Logitech MX518

Thank You for any help provided, it would be much appreciated!

-blackhawk1928

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 1, 2010 5:33:19 AM

Well, lowering voltages wouldn't affect performance, unless you undervolt it too much and cause it to crash. As for it being normal - I don't think so, my i7 930 drops to ~ 0.95V with C1E enabled when idling. However, after using those programs, even though it may seem idle, some processes may still be using some CPU resources, and check Task Manager to see if the CPU is being used at all. If your CPU is at stock 2.66GHz, then I'd undervolt it to 1.05V - 1.1V, and if it's not stable then, I'd increase the voltage until it does stabilise.
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2010 11:48:34 PM

Thanks for the help so far. I always make sure in task manager I am idle. And this doesn't happen always, infact very rarely. For example I just got off a flight simulator instance and the voltage droped to about .9 as usual and temps went back to normal in the mid to high twenties. I need to look into this a little more in depth I guess.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 9, 2010 12:07:47 AM

Best answer selected by blackhawk1928.
m
l
!