Sign in with
Your question

How to fix my WD external drive

Last response: in Storage
March 5, 2012 5:23:32 AM

Hello, please help me to fix my WD external drive. I plugged on but it is not accesible, the light comes up and i hear the motor running and heard two ticking sounds but I wont go thru the process of openning. Is there still a remedy for this because am deployed on the project site and I need a lot of stuffs on this drive. Thanks a lot in advance.

More about : fix external drive

March 5, 2012 4:56:05 PM

sounds like the hdd could be bust, ticking sound isnt good. try open the external hdd and take out the HDD, put the HDD into a pc and see if it shows up. you can copy your data off it then.

if that fails and the HDD isn't working, their is one other thing you can try. this sounds wierd but it worked for me. take the HDD(if it doesnt work in the pc) and wrap it in a plastic bag or cling film to make it water tight. then put it into your freezer over night. then try the HDD in your pc again.

goodluck.
m
l
March 12, 2012 5:35:19 AM

eoinycroiny said:
sounds like the hdd could be bust, ticking sound isnt good. try open the external hdd and take out the HDD, put the HDD into a pc and see if it shows up. you can copy your data off it then.

if that fails and the HDD isn't working, their is one other thing you can try. this sounds wierd but it worked for me. take the HDD(if it doesnt work in the pc) and wrap it in a plastic bag or cling film to make it water tight. then put it into your freezer over night. then try the HDD in your pc again.

goodluck.

Thanks Buddy.
m
l
Related resources
March 19, 2012 1:49:47 AM

hey buddy are you serious when u say this: take the HDD(if it doesnt work in the pc) and wrap it in a plastic bag or cling film to make it water tight. then put it into your freezer over night...anyways thanks for your time.
m
l
August 24, 2013 9:57:55 AM

yeah, seriously, it works a lot of the time. the basic idea behind it is this: the clicking noise you hear could simply be a drive head caught on a platter and its unable to reset in order to start the read/write cycle. putting it in a freezer for awhile cools it down and when that happens the metal in the drive contracts(shrinks) which can be enough to un-stick it. iv gotten several damaged HDD's to work long enough to recover data with this trick
m
l
September 15, 2013 9:45:57 PM

I got the same problem. And I tried already, which I take out the hdd and put it in the freezer. But nothing happened. After I take it out from freezer, do I have to wrap it with something or what?
m
l
September 21, 2013 12:47:34 PM

you need to wrap it in a plastic bag or cling film BEFORE you put it in the freezer(so it doesn't get wet) leave in freezer for a few hours at least...then take it out, remove plastic and put back into your computer quickly before it heats up again.....if it doesn't work then it doesn't work...its just a little trick i learnt a few years ago that's saved me a few times, doesn't always work tho. NEVER open a hdd tho, it will never work again unless you have specialized tools for re-assembling it
m
l
September 22, 2013 9:14:05 AM

First off, taking the drive out of the enclosure and putting it in another enclosure or computer is usually a good idea EXCEPT for a lot of wd externals. They use hardware encryption (a little chip on the pcb of the enclosure). So make sure your drive does not have hardware encryption. also before doing anything see if you can boot into a linux live cd and use dd to make a sector by sector image of the drive. since it's probably a mechanical problem with the drive, every time you access the drive it will probably make it worse. having an image to work off of instead of the original will give you the chance to try out different solutions without continually making the drive worse. A lot of the time the drive wont show up in disk management but will still be visible in linux (even though you wont be able to access it).
m
l
!