Known Thief3/ATI issue

Last response: in Video Games
June 10, 2004 8:47:22 AM

Saw this today:

"This issue affects the following system configurations:
CATALYST 4.6 Display Drivers
Thief 3

When playing the game Thief 3, some of the lighting on the walls will
flash blue and shadows will flicker on and off.

ATI Engineering is aware of this issue and investigating. Any updates
will appear on this page when they become available.

INFO-BASE#4557

KEYWORDS: Thief 3: Shadows flash flicker" --
http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4557.html

The new release notes says:

"Inconsistent lighting and shadow flicker is noticed when playing the
game Thief 3 under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON X800 XT Platinum
Edition or the RADEON X800 PRO.", but I think I've had [some of] these
issues on my 9600XT.

Not that I'd call it a big problem in my case, maybe it's worse on the
new cards. I hardly notice it any more, and when I do, it feels kind
of... apt. Like scary flickering lights.

More about : thief3 ati issue

Anonymous
June 10, 2004 5:39:58 PM

eloj wrote:
> Saw this today:
>
> "This issue affects the following system configurations:
> CATALYST 4.6 Display Drivers
> Thief 3
>
> When playing the game Thief 3, some of the lighting on the walls will
> flash blue and shadows will flicker on and off.
>
> ATI Engineering is aware of this issue and investigating. Any updates
> will appear on this page when they become available.
>
> INFO-BASE#4557
>
> KEYWORDS: Thief 3: Shadows flash flicker" --
> http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4557.html
>
> The new release notes says:
>
> "Inconsistent lighting and shadow flicker is noticed when playing the
> game Thief 3 under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON X800 XT Platinum
> Edition or the RADEON X800 PRO.", but I think I've had [some of] these
> issues on my 9600XT.
>
> Not that I'd call it a big problem in my case, maybe it's worse on the
> new cards. I hardly notice it any more, and when I do, it feels kind
> of... apt. Like scary flickering lights.

Hmph. I've had *no* such issues on my Radeon 9700 Pro.

I also never had the "changing key configuration makes the game crash"
issue. Even WITH my USB joystick plugged in.

Objekt
-just lucky I guess
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 5:50:27 PM

eloj left a note on my windscreen which said:

> "Inconsistent lighting and shadow flicker is noticed when playing the
> game Thief 3 under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON X800 XT Platinum
> Edition or the RADEON X800 PRO.", but I think I've had [some of] these
> issues on my 9600XT.
>
> Not that I'd call it a big problem in my case, maybe it's worse on the
> new cards. I hardly notice it any more, and when I do, it feels kind
> of... apt. Like scary flickering lights.

I get flickering on my 9800 Pro using 4.5 drivers. Going back to 4.4
fixes the problem.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
Related resources
June 10, 2004 9:24:29 PM

> Hmph. I've had *no* such issues on my Radeon 9700 Pro.

I'm seeing them here, 4.6+9700pro. It doesn't occur everywhere and
isn't too distracting, so I'm not sweating it.

rms
June 10, 2004 10:28:08 PM

my brother has an AIW9700pro and Thief 3 works
fine with the 4.4s but has glitches with the 4.5 and 4.6s

!