So I wanted to know which one to get. I realize its a stupid question. But, I don't multitask hardcore programs, primarily i'm just gaming. Should I buy the 955? or the 1055T. Which one performs better under gaming circumstances?

Well, the Phenom II X6 1090T was designed with multitasking in mind, and the Phenom II X4 955/965 beats the 1090T in most games. I'd personally wait for the Phenom II X4 960T 'Zosma', which is a Phenom II X4 with Turbo CORE and is really just a Phenom II X6 with two disabled cores. However, if you're in need of a CPU now, then go for the Phenom II X4 955.

soulflyfan

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I agree with this. I've just bought a 965, and thought about going for an X6. I also built my PC for gaming

The problem is that nothing I use will take advantage of the extra cores. from my research most games don't fully utilise 4 cores and we've had those for a while now, and although this may change in the future, it's unlikely developers will suddenly make games highly dependant on 6 cores in the near future.

Also the benchmarks show that current title are GPU bound at all but the lower resolutions (and if your playing at 800 x 600 I don't think you need 200 FPS+). What GPU are you using currently? If upgrading is on the cards, I would spend the extra money there.

Gaming Benchmarks
http://anandtech.com/show/3674/amds-sixcore-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-1055t-reviewed/9
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-890fx,review-31882-9.html

The General consensus is that if your not sure you need 6 cores, then you don't need 6 cores. Only Power users will benefit currently

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I doubt they'll be worth the wait. You can unlock 2 cores and get a 1055T at no extra cost and you have AMD's turbo implementation.

But:
- For a purely gaming PC, these two extra cores are a waste of power.
- Turbo's use is limited. If you overclock, you don't need turbo. But for gaming, you don't even need to overclock a modern quad core.

Feel free to wait, but I wouldn't upgrade at all. If anything, try overclocking or even unlocking your 550. A 550 at stock can keep up with a quad core in most cases and overclocked it can go all the way. Save some money for an SSD, that's the only sensible upgrade possible for your build.

abhishekk89

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
even waiting for zosma doesn't make much diff... seriously the turbo core is not as effective as the turbo boost from intel(even intel took a chip generation to perfect it)...

so instead of waiting for the zosma go grab urself a 955/065...

You relay do need to OC.

A Phenomeon X2 955-925 could hold back 2 480s unless you OC.