7850 OC causing BSOD

mmccreesh1

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Hi, I recently bought the MSI Twin Frozr HD 7850 2GB and have been having some issues with overclocking.

The card itself is running perfectly but it sometimes BSOD's on my overclocked settings (never on the stock settings). They are 1050mhz for core, 5800mhz for memory and 1.085 volts. It even happened on some lower OC settings that just used the stock voltage which is 1.075 volts. I use ASUS GPU Tweak because Afterburner didn't give me voltage control or core clock over 1050mhz. It happened using Afterburner too.

The temps are fine, never went above 60.

The error code is: 0xa0000001

and its caused by driver: atikmdag.sys

I looked up this code and people suggesting that it is bad drivers so I uninstalled my beta drivers (and ran DriveSweeper) and installed the current release version. It still happens.

It only happens while playing games and will usually occur after a few seconds of playing.

The computer and graphics card (at stock settings) work perfect, its only when I overclock that this happens.

My CPU is i3-2100.

My motherboard is P8Z68-V LX

BSOD info: http://i49.tinypic.com/2diegw4.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

mmccreesh1

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Just a quick update.

I set the core clock to 1050mhz and memory to 5800mhz and 1085mV on Asus GPU Tweak and started up Far Cry 3. Every 30 seconds or so, it would freeze, the screen would go black then return and start to play as normal again. After about 5 minutes, another BSOD.

It runs completely fine at stock speeds and voltage and even just a little OC on memory (5000) and core (1000) without touching the voltage.

The problems start whenever I try to go even slightly above those clocks to like 1050mhz.

I really want to OC this a lot because it was one of my main buying points for the card.