Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Suggestion, Samsung 830 64Gb vs 128Gb?

Last response: in Storage
Share
March 5, 2012 7:18:46 AM

Hi guys, just asking another suggestion.

I'm going to be installing Windows 7 64 Ultimate, basic apps, and a main game or two on the SSD.

If I install the OS on 64Gb, about how many spaces will it leave me for apps and games??
-do have an extra hdd for Et ceteras-

and are the performances for speed same between 64Gb and 128Gb?

Suggestion? (if u suggest me another ssd, will put that on mind)
March 5, 2012 7:40:58 AM

to the first question? 6 spaces is what you'll have left. I'm sorry, it was worded funny, so I had to joke. I've read anywhere from 10 to 20GB for 64bit.

And from what I recall reading, the 128gb version IS faster, especially on writes. I have a friend with the 64gb version, it's not bad, but the 128GB is faster.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
March 5, 2012 7:41:45 AM

I recommend 128GB over 64GB because when you install the OS along with some apps on 64GB,you won't have much of space left,so if your budget allows,go with the 128GB(which also has a faster write speed)
Share
Related resources
March 5, 2012 7:44:55 AM

cliffro said:
to the first question? 6 spaces is what you'll have left. I'm sorry, it was worded funny, so I had to joke. I've read anywhere from 10 to 20GB for 64bit.

And from what I recall reading, the 128gb version IS faster, especially on writes. I have a friend with the 64gb version, it's not bad, but the 128GB is faster.


but is it noticeably faster? if it like 1sec or 2sec, i got time.

btw when playing games, the speed of loading the game and maps depends on the Read speed, not write, right?

m
0
l
a b G Storage
March 5, 2012 7:54:51 AM

In games,you won't see much of a difference.But the thing is,you can't store many apps/games on a 64GB drive(along with the OS too)
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 8:16:24 AM

Maziar said:
In games,you won't see much of a difference.But the thing is,you can't store many apps/games on a 64GB drive(along with the OS too)


oh.. i see... thought i maybe could have store a game or two xD
m
0
l
a b G Storage
March 5, 2012 8:38:53 AM

Yes you can :D  You can install some necessary games you play mostly and you should still have half(or more) of the capacity left.
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 8:55:47 AM

Maziar said:
Yes you can :D  You can install some necessary games you play mostly and you should still have half(or more) of the capacity left.


Diablo3 + Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit + some application < 64Gb i hope. lol
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 8:56:55 AM

You will run out of space in 64GB SSD very fast. I have bought the 128GB one (830 as well) over a week ago and after installing win7 64bit, all the software I use and BF3 I now have only 61.3GB left from the 119GB available.
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 9:01:33 AM

rmpumper said:
You will run out of space in 64GB SSD very fast. I have bought the 128GB one (830 as well) over a week ago and after installing win7 64bit, all the software I use and BF3 I now have only 61.3GB left from the 119GB available.


oh wow... well, i dont use too many important softwares so i guess that will save me some space but i guess 64Gb will run out pretty quick. this is probably the toughest choice lol

maybe i'll downgrade my future MoBo, can spend that extra $80 on 128Gb instead.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
March 5, 2012 10:09:36 AM

alex3064 said:
Diablo3 + Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit + some application < 64Gb i hope. lol

Diablo 3 + W7 will be fine,but the "some applications" depend(on their size of course).
What motherboard do you want to get ?(maybe there are cheaper options)
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 11:45:39 AM

Maziar said:
Diablo 3 + W7 will be fine,but the "some applications" depend(on their size of course).
What motherboard do you want to get ?(maybe there are cheaper options)


haven't decided. cant really take side on p67 h67 and z68. sure z68 is superior, but do i need them for gaming/entertainment wise?
budget for MoBo is around $100~150. probably hardest choice i will make after ssd.
from what i've read so far, p67 and z68 is about the same in performance wise, just more features that doesnt help,(ivy compatibility except)
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 12:15:17 PM

Hi, after I installed the OS, apps, and 3 games, I'm left with about 50% of my drive.

Here's the breakdown: my drive is a Crucial M4 128GB which gives you 119GB of actual usable space. I installed Windows 7, a bunch of my most used apps (MS Office, VLC, Winamp), Starcraft 2, Mass Effect 2, and Skyrim with the Hi-Res pack, and I have about 55GB free space left.

Mind you, I actually turned off Hibernation which gave back about 8GB of space. I think that's what saved me the most space.

Otherwise, everything loads incredibly fast.

I hope this helps.

-m
m
0
l
a b G Storage
March 5, 2012 12:15:56 PM

Yep,performance wise,you won't notice any difference between Z68 and P67
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 1:11:53 PM

Best answer selected by alex3064.
m
0
l
March 5, 2012 1:12:24 PM

will save $$ and get p67 and 128GB samsung, cant go back to the choice.
m
0
l
!