Sign in with
Your question

Which part should I RMA?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 8, 2010 2:22:18 PM

I have a slight technical issue, I'm running an i7 980x with an ASUS Rampage III Formula, and trying to run 12Gb Corsair XMS3 1600 MHz ram 3x2.

Here's my issue:
If I put in 6Gb(A1, B1, C1) everything is good, bios, CPU-Z and Windows both read the 6Gbs as Triple Channel, and with XMP enabled it's 1600 MHz.
If I put in 8Gb(A1, A2, B1, C1) everything is good, bios, CPU-Z and windows both read 8Gbs.
If I put in 10Gb(A1, A2, B1, C1, B2 or C2) bios, CPU-Z, and Windows all read 6Gb.
If I put in 12Gb(all slots) bios, CPU-Z and Windows all read 4Gb.
I know that i7s can't read 6 DIMMS of 1600 Mhz, so I lowered speed of ram to 1333 and running 9-9-9-24, kept voltage at 1.65, bumped QPI to 1.4.

Has anyone ran into this issue or have an idea as to where the issue might be, if it's either the mobo or the cpu?

More about : part rma

October 8, 2010 8:26:50 PM

machu said:
I have a slight technical issue, I'm running an i7 980x with an ASUS Rampage III Formula, and trying to run 12Gb Corsair XMS3 1600 MHz ram 3x2.

Here's my issue:
If I put in 6Gb(A1, B1, C1) everything is good, bios, CPU-Z and Windows both read the 6Gbs as Triple Channel, and with XMP enabled it's 1600 MHz.
If I put in 8Gb(A1, A2, B1, C1) everything is good, bios, CPU-Z and windows both read 8Gbs.
If I put in 10Gb(A1, A2, B1, C1, B2 or C2) bios, CPU-Z, and Windows all read 6Gb.
If I put in 12Gb(all slots) bios, CPU-Z and Windows all read 4Gb.
I know that i7s can't read 6 DIMMS of 1600 Mhz, so I lowered speed of ram to 1333 and running 9-9-9-24, kept voltage at 1.65, bumped QPI to 1.4.

Has anyone ran into this issue or have an idea as to where the issue might be, if it's either the mobo or the cpu?

and before anyone asks, all memory has been tested and works, so it's either the memory controller on the processor or some messed up dimms on the mobo
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 716 V Motherboard
October 8, 2010 11:48:37 PM

There's a difference between the RAM working and the RAM being supported, operational, in your MOBO is another issue.

Load Defaults, Disable XMP and manually set the RAM in the BIOS {Speed, Timing, CAS & Voltage}. In addition, if you have 6 X 2GB and they are NOT a fully matched Hexa Channel kit then pull them all and look at them VERY carefully and rearrange them back into their Tri Channel sets RED = set 1, BLACK = set 2.

Certified {QVL} DDR3 ASUS - http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=jy0uafxYBCrJwksC
Tested DDR3 Corsair - http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.asp...
m
l
Related resources
October 9, 2010 12:09:30 AM

That's actually the first thing I did after getting XMP to work with 6Gbs. I turned off XMP, started installing dimms one at a time with timings at 9-9-9-24 (with both 1T and 2T) with 1.65V at 1333MHz. It's 2 Triple Channel sets of 3, for a total of 12Gb in six sticks(basically a hex channel kit, but not). rated for 1600, and I'll be running at 1333 due to constraints with i7 architecture.

The ram is on the QVL for the Rampage III Formula, so there shouldn't be any issue there. This is one of those boards that won't post if it's not looking at the right memory.

I'm pretty sure I've taken all the steps possible with making the thing work, I've just got 2 slots that are FUBARing the whole setup. I've just never heard of RAM digressing based on the amount inserted, and was hoping someone else out there has run across this issue and could help me decide whether or not to RMA the $1000 dollar piece and be out of a comp for 2-3 weeks or the $300 dollar piece that would give me 0 downtime because I can just buy another 300 dollar mobo, I can't fork out 1000 bucks for a faulty memory controller on the proc.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 716 V Motherboard
October 9, 2010 12:55:30 AM

My, point I've seen 2 Tri-Channel kits NOT play well together. Please post the part-number and/or links to the two sets.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 78 à CPUs
a c 235 V Motherboard
October 9, 2010 2:05:47 AM

Agreed...

If they did not come as 12GB set than they haven't been certified to work together. At times when all slots are full, the motherboard requires a little extra voltage to the DRAM Voltage.
m
l
October 9, 2010 2:15:37 AM

CMX6GX3M3A1600C9, 2 kits, both same part number, both on QVL for the 1600 MHz memory, I understand what you're saying about the memory maybe not working together, but that doesn't explain the regression in amount of memory posted, even if the 2 kits didn't work together, if it posts with only 6Gb, putting all 12Gb in should leave it at six gigs, there's no reasonable explanation on why they would decrease after 8Gb by 2Gb for every 2Gb I put in.

As far as increasing the DRAM voltage, as far as I've been able to find anythign over 1.66 is a bad idea, but underclocking it with the same timings shouldn't require extra voltage, so 1.65, even with 12 gigs should be fine if they're running under rated speed with rated timings.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 716 V Motherboard
October 9, 2010 2:26:37 AM

Interesting factoid - if you had 24 GB then there's a BIOS adjustment required {'Flexibility' on some MOBO / Memory Configuration Protect {Enabled}}.

However, cannot hurt try Memory Configuration Protect {Enabled}

Good Luck!
m
l
October 9, 2010 3:07:35 AM

When going to insert the extra 6Gb of memory, I checked the dimm slots to ensure there was no debris left over from putting it together, B2 and C2 Slots have the wiring from a pin on each, going OVER the top of the bottom of the slot, instead of down into the slot. I believe I may have found my verdict, new mobo inc, lol
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 716 V Motherboard
October 9, 2010 3:26:04 AM

edit: Better yet, create a ticket -> http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx?ptype=1&pmod...

Again, did you try Memory Configuration Protect {Enabled}
Again, XMP needs to go bye-bye:
Manual - "Due to Intel spec definition, X.M.P. DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only."

Also, with ALL sticks installed - please post the following. I realize you want to shoot the MOBO, bag it up, etc - you're not the first to run into this issue.

Or send it back and face the same issue, it's all the same to me. :pfff: 

Boot Option:

Resource Monitor:
m
l
October 9, 2010 9:46:57 PM

Already have motherboard out for RMA, ASUS tech support said RMA the board due to manufacturer defect, and if the new one works, I'll know what the problem was, if it doesn't then I still have a fresh base for a new processor to check. I appreciate the assistance.
m
l
!