• Hard Drives
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 23, 2010 4:12:57 PM

Ok, first- time builder here. I have:

1- 150GB SATA 10000 Rpm 16MB Cache Drive

and

1- 640GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

I just need to get an idea of how I should hook this up to the mobo, and if I need to do anything in BIOS after.

I dont know much about what I am trying to do, except that the 150 will run the OS and the 640 is for files.

Thanks for any recommendations!!

More about : hard drive question

February 23, 2010 4:18:08 PM

Have you bought these yet? I'm asking because the new 500 GB platter drives (namely Samsung F3s and Seagate 7200.12 500 GB or 1 TB) are faster than the VelociRaptor at about a 1/3 of the cost. They're also a lot faster than the 640 GB drives as well...

You just hook them up to the board. Check BIOS to see that they're recognized.
m
l
February 23, 2010 4:52:54 PM

I have already bought these, unfortunately. I should have thought to be asking here first. I got a total steal on the 150GB, so I guess it evens out anyway.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is if there is special placement on the board. I thought I had read someplace about boot order, and placement on the board. When I am setting bios and os up, will everything automatically be going to the 150bg, or does it need to be specified? I want to be sure I dont get it backwards, and have everything running on the data drive.

Thanks again!!
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 23, 2010 4:55:46 PM

A total steal as in 11 cents per GB?

It doesn't really matter. The boot order is set in BIOS, and there are 3 choices: USB device, HDD or optical. The proper order after installation is HDD, optical, USB. This may differ from time to time.

When you install the OS, you choose the drive. Then when the devices post, it checks them in order you specify, and checks all the devices until it finds one.
m
l
February 23, 2010 4:58:50 PM

Ok, thanks for that. Seems pretty straightforward then. Thanks for the advice!!
m
l
!