Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclocking the 3570k

Last response: in Overclocking
December 8, 2012 1:25:45 PM

I am getting my 3570k here in a few days and I was thinking of overclocking it out of the box so I can play large-scale games like Planetside 2 at high speeds. I was wondering what a good speed would be to overclock it to for these types of games. Also, at what point would it be dangerous to overclock it to?

More about : overclocking 3570k

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2012 1:43:25 PM

When you're looking into those games, the stock clock vs a mild overclock aren't really going to net you much additional framerate if any at all. The 3570k is completely fast enough for any game out there. The biggest thing with the framerate on games like those is the GPU.

Honestly, a i3-3220 and a 3770k will perform very similar in most games as long os the GPU is good. Will the 3770k perform better, yes but the difference is very small if noticeable at all.

So if you're wanting better framerates; what hardware are you running? Are you running off of the integrated GPU on the 3570? A dedicated GPU? Those are bigger concerns as the GPU is going to make a large difference in potential framerates.
m
l
December 8, 2012 1:51:00 PM

steddora said:
When you're looking into those games, the stock clock vs a mild overclock aren't really going to net you much additional framerate if any at all. The 3570k is completely fast enough for any game out there. The biggest thing with the framerate on games like those is the GPU.

Honestly, a i3-3220 and a 3770k will perform very similar in most games as long os the GPU is good. Will the 3770k perform better, yes but the difference is very small if noticeable at all.

So if you're wanting better framerates; what hardware are you running? Are you running off of the integrated GPU on the 3570? A dedicated GPU? Those are bigger concerns as the GPU is going to make a large difference in potential framerates.

I am using a 660 GTX. I may get another 660 GTX later if my performance is not where I want it. Should I overclock my GPU?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2012 2:02:28 PM

It can make a decent difference with the GPU for sure. However, I suggest you do a lot of reading on overclocking your GPU. It's a different ball game overclocking a GPU. Personally it took me about two weeks to find the sweet spot on my 550ti's. I netted a 17% gain or so in framerates in the Unigine Heaven benchmark. That's where I recommend you start. Download the Unigine Heaven benchmark and run it on stock settings and take notes. Then learn about budging the clock up on the GPU and fan settings. If I was to run my 1Ghz on the stock fan settings my cards would run up to 80C and become incredibly instable. So setting up the fan profile, bumping the speed up, and knowing if and when to push additional voltage to the GPU is a pretty time extensive task.

My theory, know exactly what you "should" have to do before starting. If you run into problems along the way; google is your best friend. :) 
December 8, 2012 2:07:45 PM

steddora said:
It can make a decent difference with the GPU for sure. However, I suggest you do a lot of reading on overclocking your GPU. It's a different ball game overclocking a GPU. Personally it took me about two weeks to find the sweet spot on my 550ti's. I netted a 17% gain or so in framerates in the Unigine Heaven benchmark. That's where I recommend you start. Download the Unigine Heaven benchmark and run it on stock settings and take notes. Then learn about budging the clock up on the GPU and fan settings. If I was to run my 1Ghz on the stock fan settings my cards would run up to 80C and become incredibly instable. So setting up the fan profile, bumping the speed up, and knowing if and when to push additional voltage to the GPU is a pretty time extensive task.

My theory, know exactly what you "should" have to do before starting. If you run into problems along the way; google is your best friend. :) 

Thanks for the help.
m
l
December 8, 2012 2:07:53 PM

Best answer selected by cabaton.
m
l
December 8, 2012 2:10:24 PM

cabaton said:
I am getting my 3570k here in a few days and I was thinking of overclocking it out of the box so I can play large-scale games like Planetside 2 at high speeds. I was wondering what a good speed would be to overclock it to for these types of games. Also, at what point would it be dangerous to overclock it to?

Planet side is not currently optimized and very CPU intensive. A friend of mine (just today) overclocked his i5 2500k from stock to 4.2 and noticed a 20 FPS increase during intensive combat. I just did my 2500k to 4.5, 2 hrs into the stress test.
m
l
!