New build computer chrashing (blue screen)

mrsamdk

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Hey all,

I've just build a new computer from scratch and already having some issues. Two times within a 1,5 hour period, i've received the classic "blue screen". And yestorday I received it once.

I'm running Windows 7 x 64 bit. I've updated my gfx card, BIOS and installed updated from Windows update. I've received the blue screen both before and after i've updated BIOS gfx card etc.

I've tried to monitor CPU and MB temperature and both are between 30-40C - which seems fine.
Additional info from Asus probe:
Vcore: 0.94V
+3.3V: 3.28V
+5V: 5.17V
+12V: 12.19V
CPU RPM: 2109

I'm wondering if something could be in-compatible with my build, although it should be alright.

Any ideas?

My build looks like this:
CPU:
Core i7 I7-920 8 MB (Intel Boxed)

Motherboard:
ASUS P6X58D Premium, X58, Socket-1366 DDR3, ATX, 2xSATA 6Gb/s, USB3.0, Firewire, 2xGbLAN, 3xPCI-Ex(2.0)x16

GFX:
XFX Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5

RAM:
OCZ DDR3 GOLD XTC 6GB PC3-12800 (3X2GB)

PSU:
Corsair TX650W

Cabinet:
Antec Three Hundred

HDD:
SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F1 1TB SATA/300 7200RPM 32MB

Have you tried doing EVERYTHING in the "READ before posting about boot problems" sticky (link in my signature)? If not, go there and do EVERY step. Do NOT SKIP anything just because you think it might not be relevant. After doing ALL of the steps, let us know if anything changes. If none of that fixes it, continue with the following.

First, download Prime95 and RealTemp. Install them and run them at the same time. Leave it alone for over an hour. Come back with the maximum temperatures. It's unlikely that this is the cause, but it's easy to test, and could be.

Next, go to memtest.org. Download the MemTest86+ ISO file. Burn it to a CD. Then reboot and enter BIOS. Make sure that all of the RAM is set to the manufacturer's specs (found on their webpage). Then boot from the burned CD. Let this run overnight. This will test all of your RAM for problems.

Typically, BSOD are caused by faulty RAM. I would be surprised if MemTest doesn't find anything.

mrsamdk

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
MadAdmiral > I'll try and go through your sticky and if that doesn't help i'll try and test with the suggested programs.

shortstuff_mt > I haven't manually set anything, since I don't have any experience doing so. Like you're saying everything was on AUTO in the BIOS as default.
I changed DRAM frequancy from AUTO to 1600MHz. Not sure if u wanted me to do that? Afterwards I looked around, and found DRAM bus voltage in the "AI tweaker" tab - it's on AUTO. Is this what you want me to change to 1.65 manually?

Thanks a lot for the responses!

You'll have to look in the motherboard owners manual. There should be a setting for the DRAM Voltage, not the bus voltage. You'll need to manually set the timings too. That should also be covered by the owners manual.

mrsamdk

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Ok i've found the DRAM voltage and changed it to 1.65V .. I'm looking at the DRAM timing control, and I must say it's a bit confusing. I see that my memory is rated 8-8-8-24 and guess I need to change that somehow. I went into DRAM timing controller and see three headlines saying 1st information, 2 information, 3rd information and common for all three is that they have different numbers and much more numbers than the timing I need to set "8-8-8-24".

1st information is: 7-7-7-20-4-59-9-9-6-20-0 - under each infromation there's a lot of different "sub options" set to AUTO , like DRAM latency, delay etc.

I've looked in the manual, but it doesn't really give any instructions on how to change to something else.