Asking for advice re: memory choice

ramdmc

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
Hello guys

Just putting together a new build and a little confused when it comes to memory.
Using:
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
GPU: EVGA GTX 670 2GB FTW
PSU: Seasonic gold+(havent decided)

I was looking at picking up a Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz CL9 (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9) 2x4GB kit
Is there any point of buying something fancier? even if the mobo can handle faster mem? Will I see any improvement? frivolous to buy anything better? I've O/Ced CPUs in the past but left mem very well alone, is this a good practice?

Many thanks guys!

Solution
I actually have very similar ram only it's a 4x4GB kit. The stuff has been rock solid and after the 1600Mhz range you won't see anything in real gains of performance. That kit is great and you won't be disappointed. I never even think of messing with my RAM in overclocking with my K-series processors. No need as it really doesn't make much of any sense for such little increments of performance.
I've not overclocked my ram, seems to work fine for me. I don't believe you'll see any difference outside of benchmarks using faster than 1600MHz ram. I'd think the Vengeance kit should work fine - I personally wouldn't be looking for faster than that.
Just my $0.02 worth

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I actually have very similar ram only it's a 4x4GB kit. The stuff has been rock solid and after the 1600Mhz range you won't see anything in real gains of performance. That kit is great and you won't be disappointed. I never even think of messing with my RAM in overclocking with my K-series processors. No need as it really doesn't make much of any sense for such little increments of performance.

Solution

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
That marketing crap is such a trap! There's no need for anything more than 1600mhz. There's just not enough a gain. It's kind of like driving a Porsche on a 55mph road. It won't get you there any faster than the Camry if you follow the speed limit.