Jan 10, 2010
Morning

Have a question on a Dell Workstation 670

I want to upgrade my memory from 4GB to

12GB and need to install 64 bit OS

So i unhooked my 500GB HDD running XP Pro

Placed a NEW 2TB HDD in the place of my XP 500GB

opened up setup seen new 2TB HDD and place NEW OS Disk

In DVD ROM and rebooted and it said no boot device?

(Checked Western Digital Website for jumper setting all good???)

HELP?

I have done this many times on a PC never had any problem.

But this is my first Dell Workstation 670 Server?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

ngoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Per what inzone says, you will probably need to change the boot device. My 670 is doa at the moment, but my 650 is similar iirc in the bios. You can do this one of two ways, hit F2 and go into the bios, then to Boot Sequence, choose the CD/DVD rom as the 1st boot device.

Second way on the 650 is to hit F12 during bootup bios screen and it should come up to the boot device menu, just select your dvd and it should boot.

Remember you need Registered DDR2 RAM on your 670, and you may want to do a BIOS update if you haven't already to make sure your 2TB drive is supported, otherwise you may have to run the funny software from WD to let the OS see the drive.

press/hold F10 or F12 (cant remember which) during boot and it will bring you to the boot selection screen which will then let you boot from the CD drive. Otherwise you can press F2 to get into BIOS and change it there. If it does not work then make sure that your CD drive is working properly, and that the disc is not scratched.

You may need to update your BIOS to use the 2TB drive properly. No need to change jumper settings.

edknapp

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

I think it is would have to look when I get home.

Well when I booted the system down
Found cd rom first boot device
DVD rom 2nd boot device
Turned off the pata1 was cd rom
Then DVD rom booted first
Ask to load OS to new harddrive formatted
2GB and loaded 64 bit OS fine

But now I have to hook a memory cooling fan

edknapp

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

Well got home and my package of 8GB Ram was in mail box
so i opened up case and put the 4 - 2GB Strips in and have video and it reads 8GB in BIOS but in morning gonna play with HDD again thanks for the info will post more once i try posted ideas

edknapp

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

I Temp turned off my CDR Drive
and Set the DVD Rom 1st boot :eek:

Now i have to look at mother board and place memory fan in place
keeps telling me system heeds extra memory fan

SYSTEM HALT! :fou:

ngoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Yeah, Dell workstations are a little special. Probably something in the custom bios that checks for a fan on one of the fan headers as soon as you plug in ram to the other bank. Price you pay for an almost silent workstation though, there are very few almost silent 650 power supplies at the time they came out with the original 5xx series.