Corsair TX650 with P4 connector?

AgentS

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Before my question I just wanted to say something. Just found this site, and I am very happy I did. There is some great information here. Alright, enough sucking up :D

I have a Dell 530 with Q6600. I'm eventually gonna get a 5770 video card, so I upgraded my PSU first. I heard the any ATX PSU will do. There was a great deal on the Corsair TX650 on Newegg, so I jumped all over it. Now that I'm trying to install it, I noticed there are no P4 connectors from the Corsair. However, there is an 8-pin CPU connector. Does anybody know if this splits apart to be used as a P4? If so, can I use either side? Does the 8-pin come apart, or would I just connect 1/2 of it on the mobo and have the other 1/2 hang over nothing? Sorry for so many questions, but I want to make sure I don't fry and of my components :sol:

assassin37

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
yes just split it, although only one side will fit in the 4 pin son take a look at the shape of the pins and plug away, the plastic shouldnt be fused on the connector it should split with little effort

Some motherboards require a 4 pin supplementary power connection. Some motherboards require an 8 pin supplementary power connections. Quite a few power supply manufacturers cover it both ways by providing a power cable with two 4 pin connectors. The cable can be used for either a 4 pin or 8 pin connection.

If a motherboard only requires one 4 pin connection, then only one of the two 4 pin connectors is plugged into the motherboard. Modern power supplies and motherboards have a standard pinout for the 4 pin connectors. You can use either 4 pin connector.

The Corsair TX650 comes with a power cable that can be used as either a 4 pin or 8 pin connection.

I've had a Corsair HX620 for quite a few years. It now powers my emergency backup system. I can't remember if it came with the two 4 pin connectors already split or whether I "snapped" them in two.

jack008

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Wow, this seemed to be exactly what I was looking for, but I guess its a little more complicated. I've got an old Supermicro P4DC6+ dual Xeon mobo that has 24-pin power, then an 8-pin, then a 4-pin power as well. Got the Corsair TX650W PSU, but now looking like I might be short a connector.

Looks like I need to put both of the split 4-pins into the 8-pin P8 slot, so what do I do with the old P4 slot? I've got the two PCI-E 6+2 power cables I'm not using...could I split one of those or just plug half of it in to the p4 slot?

Here's a link to the mobo manual (pin-outs for P4DC6+ are on page 34) http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/860/MNL-0636.pdf

Says it needs pins 1 and 2 ground and pins 3 and 4 +12v. Will any frankensteining of the PCI-E cables work for that?

Thanks,

Jack

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812198019

No, you cannot. The PCI power plugs are wired differently from the CPU power plugs. Interchanging either will result in shorting 12 volts to ground. In that case, hopefully the PSU will electronically shut itsellf down before anything fries.

One suggestion is to get a PCI power cable extension (so you don't do anything permanent to your PSU). Cut the female end off. Find an old dead PSU. cut the 4 pin CPU power plug off. Splice the yellow wires together, then splice the black wires together. And there you go.

jack008

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Hey, thanks for the reply. Kinda what I ended up doing. Finally found a pci-e pinout that seemed fairly reliable, snipped off the connector and spliced in the old P4 connector from the dead PSU.

Had a few tense moments gettin' the nerve up to hit that power button the first time, but no explosions and it's on and stable. Thanks again.

Jack