Can any one help me with a new questions? (noobie)

G

Hi,
Thanks for looking at my thread first off! I've been an avid reader of the tomhardware's forums and charts for the last year or so while ive been upgrading etc) But i have a few random questions. I have looked all over the net and found so many conflicting anwser's So decided id ask the exsperts lol\

This is my spec so far.

955 OC'ed to 3.6 GHz (was at 3.8 but I could never get it stable -_-) with a silent Knight 2 Cooler
4Gb of ddr3 Ram
Windows 7 pro 32Bit
5870 GPU
PSU OCZ StealthxStream 700W
Now heres the questions (sorry the first isn’t really a gpu question)

1: What would I see more gaming improvement from as an upgrade. A second 5870 (in crossfire) or a new mobo and a i7 920 Overclocked as high as I could get it (3.6 for e.g.) (with my ddr3 duel channel ram) I have heard so many people saying i7 destroys amd3 in gaming.. but most of the benchmarks ive seen you only get a smal increase in fps (5-10) in the avrage game.

2: Whats the min psu Should i have if i intend to go crossfire? My psu at the mo is a stealthXstream 700W. I have asked this question on a number of forums’ (overclockers.co.uk, Yahoo answers etc) and they all come back different! Some people say go for 1Kw! others say 600W is fine. I have even used one of them power calculators’. Does any one know?

3: If my psu is fine (700w) would it be safe to use the Molex to pci-e converter cables? At the moment i have 4-5 green lazer lights, 2 UV CC lights, 2 HHD Sata drives, an overclocked CPU to 3.6 (with stock Volts) 1 DVD-rom drive (sata) (also im planning on getting a blue ray drive) so lets pretend i have it already) A soundblaster sound card, 2x80mm fans and 3 120mm fans.

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I dont think upgrading your system will give you a noticable performance increase for the price(~$400+ for cpu & mobo). Your system is already high end, perhaps wait for intel's or AMD's next CPU generation, maybe AMD's new 6 cores asuming you can put it into your mobo without an upgrade.

Crossfire 5870s will need no more than a 600w PSU. It is reccomended you get one that has the needed 6pin/8pins for best stability. using those molex to 6pins wont kill you, just be sure to spread the load out over different strands of cable. 700w's should be fine for your entire system.

G

O was thinking of that (the new amd processor) Any idea where i can find out more about it?:(

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I have not heard anything about the AMD 6 core CPUs for some time, and the more I think of it I do not believe you will gain any performance if you do upgrade to it because games wont be coded to take advantage of 6 cores for awile. Mostlikely upgrade to crossfire 5870 before getting the 6 core CPU, so by the time you need one some games by then should support 6 cores.