Intel 3820 High Temps

I overclocked my 3820 to 4.75 with 125.0 bclck and 38 multiplier at 1.30v and the temps on load (prime95) get to around 73-80C. it has a Water2.0 Pro cooler on it and room temp is around 75F. Is this high because others have theirs over 1.450v and yet their load temps are in the 60C's
6 answers Last reply
More about intel 3820 high temps
  1. Could be a few things...

Thermal paste application bad?
    Water cooling system not operating properly?
    Poor airflow on the cooler/case?

There's a few things that could cause it but my gut tells me to check that TIM application and see if the thermal paste is bad or not. I'd say it could be a multitude but that's where I'd start for sure as it can cause even the best coolers to perform like total crap.
  2. well the thermalpaste was preapplied, so i was thinking i had some other voltages off like vtt or pll. if i leave my cpu on stock settings and run prime 95 my temps never go past 50C so i dont know why it gets so hot when i overclock it at 1.3v which is nothing
  3. That's weird. However some coolers perform better than others. Just like the Zalman 9500 vs the Hyper 212 I had. They idled nearly the same and had decent load temps on stock but once I started volting I noticed the Zalman just didn't have the ability to keep it cool. The Hyper 212 dropped my lead temps dramatically at above 1.2v on my 2600k. Possibly the cooler isn't performing up to par?
  4. steddora said:
    That's weird. However some coolers perform better than others. Just like the Zalman 9500 vs the Hyper 212 I had. They idled nearly the same and had decent load temps on stock but once I started volting I noticed the Zalman just didn't have the ability to keep it cool. The Hyper 212 dropped my lead temps dramatically at above 1.2v on my 2600k. Possibly the cooler isn't performing up to par?

Well according to other reviews the water2.0 pro performs as good or better than an h100 and all of their temps never go past 60-65C when their cpu is at 1.4v. so i dont know what would be wrong with it, all pump and fan speeds seem to be fine and running on max. I did however take the cooler off a couple times before i actually turned the system on for the first time but the thermal paste was all in the center when i put it back on, so i dont know if that might have been a problem.
  5. In my systems, if the base of the cooler is pulled from the CPU, I clean both the base and CPU with isopropyl alcohol 70% or higher and reapply paste. Thermal paste is CHEAP compared to a new processor or bad temperatures. So I always keep some handy. I prefer for "usual" builds for people Artic Silver MX-2 or variants that are similar. I actually am going to get another tube of IC diamond. It may be expensive; but the stuff is good.

Either way, it's worth a shot for you. HSF/Blocks aren't meant to be placed and pulled every day. So thermal paste needs to be done correctly and left alone. Once you pull the block off, clean the CPU and block and reapply the thermal paste. If you don't have any, you can get a tube of MX-2 from newegg for like $5.00 or so.
  6. steddora said:
    In my systems, if the base of the cooler is pulled from the CPU, I clean both the base and CPU with isopropyl alcohol 70% or higher and reapply paste. Thermal paste is CHEAP compared to a new processor or bad temperatures. So I always keep some handy. I prefer for "usual" builds for people Artic Silver MX-2 or variants that are similar. I actually am going to get another tube of IC diamond. It may be expensive; but the stuff is good.

Either way, it's worth a shot for you. HSF/Blocks aren't meant to be placed and pulled every day. So thermal paste needs to be done correctly and left alone. Once you pull the block off, clean the CPU and block and reapply the thermal paste. If you don't have any, you can get a tube of MX-2 from newegg for like $5.00 or so.

i replaced the thermal paste and even replaced the cooler itself but still have the same problem, im starting to think its my CPU. What do you think? just a bad cooler?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling Intel Overclocking