Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Corrupted RAID 1 Registry

Last response: in Storage
March 5, 2012 3:59:14 PM

I managed to corrupt the registry on my RAID 1 boot disk. And of course it immediately corrupted the registry on the mirror. Lesson learned. RAID 1 is a hardware failure solution only.

I have made a boot drive on a recycled disk and now have the two drives from the corrupted RAID attached to the system.

I can see both of these drives and their System Reserved partitions in the Windows 7 Disk Management app and in Windows Explorer.

I can view the files on one of the drives but the other drive says Access denied when I try to open it. I'm guessing the one I can see was the Primary RAID drive and the other the Mirror of it.

A couple of questions:

1. In Disk Management the System Reserved partitions are Active. (Healthy, Active, Primary)
a. I don't recall seeing them in Windows Explorer before so are they normally NOT active?
b. Should I deactivate them?
c. Since I won't be using these drives as boot drives anymore is having that partition on them going to cause problems?

2. In Disk Management neither of the large partitions are Active. (Healthy, Primary)
a. Should I switch them to Active?
b. I am going to move the data off the one I can read. Should I do that before I make it Active if that is what I need to do?

Best solution

a b G Storage
March 5, 2012 11:36:36 PM

No you would not have seen the System Reserved partition when booted from that drive. but when under another OS you will.

There is no effect from having the partition there other than it taking up space.

If i was you and didnt want to have the RAID 1 anymore i would re-format / partition the drive you cannot see any data on. then copy the data from the working drive to the freshly formatted data drive.

then you can format working drive and you have 2 fresh drives 1 with all ur data on it.
a b G Storage
March 5, 2012 11:39:07 PM

Yes all forms of raid redundancy (RAID 1, 1+0, 5 & ETC) are for hardware failure protection.

not a solution to recover deleted files or corrupted OS's

you still need an external backup solution.
m
l
March 6, 2012 12:49:55 AM

Best answer selected by BlueCat57.
m
l
!