Sign in with
Your question

How to better cool my PC with multiple internal HDD's

Last response: in Overclocking
December 8, 2012 8:20:08 PM

I have an HP W7 PC that I have 3 internal Barracuda HDD's and am think of adding a fourth. I am interested in finding a solution to cooling the interior as it gets quite hot. The PC is upstairs in my mancave and I live in Texas so during the summer the PC gets hot.

It seems that most aftermarket products are designed to cool either the processor and/or the graphics card, but I dont need that so much as I need the case cooled.

The PC I have is an HP HPE-519C:

Would just a better aftermarket case fan work or do I need to be more aggressive?

Because the HDD's are mounted in the front of the PC's chassis it seems theres nothing designed specifically for this situation.

It seemed to me there should be a product that maybe adheres to the external case via something like magnets and blows cool air into the case through the side. I pretty big fan could be rigged in this manner it seems to me.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. As X-mas specials are all over the place right now I'd like to find a solution and take advantage of the holiday sales.
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2012 8:24:40 PM

In my opinion, the best thing you can do for those hard drives is to buy a new computer case and move the computer into there. The new computer case will have a intake fan in the front which will significantly cool the hard drives opposed to having nothing. If you still have warranty this is not recommended.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 8, 2012 9:41:48 PM

Socialfox is 100% right. HP cases just lack airflow so badly.. but finding the right one can be hard. Also, since you're using so many HDD's and want cooler temperatures. I suggest you look at the Rosewill Thor v2, Antec 1200, and the Thermaltake Level 10 GT cases. They all provide completely awesome airflow. Each has different features and having a custom case can be great!

My biggest worry with that PC is the power supply. 300w isn't going to be enough if you keep adding things! The second most awesome thing about finding a new case, is some come with really good power supplies too! So in your situation here's what I would do.

Buy a new case and good 400-600w power supply with good ratings. Make sure the case has good amount of fans pre-installed and that your hardware will fit. I am personally attracted to giant full tower cases, but your HP is most likely considered as a Mid Tower.

However, like Socialfox said; if you're under warranty, not an option!
m
l
!