How do i Move win7 onto an ssd from hdd

Cocapuff

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
i have a new solid state Intel 520 120gb sdd.
i wanna move win7 and games and other files i normally use
onto my new ssd solid state, ? please help here,

Err, read any of the hundred recent posts on the topic? Give me a few minutes and I'll edit this post with a link to one. You will be faced with two choices: Clone your system drive to the RAID and take a few hits on the theoretically ideal setup, or do a fresh install. I belong to the fresh install camp.

Edit: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272813-32-installing

If you choose to clone, don't actually clone, because your system will not boot from the SSD. Create a backup with a utility that can restore to different hardware, change your controller modes to AHCI, install the SSD, back up using the different-hardware option, and boot. The different-hardware option will fix the low-level drivers.

My unresearched suggestion for backup utility would be EASEUS ToDo backup. It's free.

Cocapuff

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
and switch from what to AHCI .. omg, i cant do this, iam scary for breaking the pc down. need irl help . by the way in denmark, i need irl help, i can pay the man who wanna earn a little for helping me with some std pc settings :/ lol .

Buy an external drive, if you don't have one.

Back up FROM old drive TO external drive USING Easeus.

Boot to BIOS, find settings for disk controller ports on motherboard, and set them to AHCI mode. If you were to boot from the HDD at this point, it would fail, since that installation doesn't know how to boot into AHCI mode.

Attach the SSD. It might be a good idea to temporarily detach the HDD.

Then restore TO new SSD FROM external drive USING Easeus with "Restore to dissimilar hardware" checked. This won't work if your SSD is smaller than the amount of stuff you had on the old boot drive, because it won't fit!

Re-attach the HDD and use the BIOS menus to make sure that your machine is booting from the SSD.

Thanks for the offer, but it's all volunteer here, we don't get paid. And my travel from US to Denmark would be a pretty big item. If you are not comfortable opening a case and installing hardware, putting in the SSD may be the issue. The AHCI change is done from the keyboard.

Ask more questions if you need help using BIOS; most of the people on the forums know how and can help. Post the brand and model of your motherboard since different motherboards have different BIOS layouts.

Cocapuff

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
i was going to check my motherboard name for you, i used speccy , then my pc goes on blue-screen, :S
when it started up was //C:prefetch damaged :/
what does is mean? i got a dump-file i could sent if it helps you check

TRENDING THREADS