Help with overclocking AMD Fx-8120

Boogachoog

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Okay I've never manually overclocked anything myself so this is new to me, but I really would like to overclock my fx-8120 to atleast 4.0 Ghz (That's what it said it could go to on the box). It's at 3.10Ghz right now using standard settings or auto settings through my motherboard MSI 970A-G46. I'm about 99.9% positive heat isn't going to be a problem while doing this, everything runs cool; especially my cpu, it idles around 18C sometimes. I know there's probably some things to go over before I just jump right in, but anyone who's willing to help me I greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

System Specs:
NZXT Phantom Full Tower w/7 fans
MSI 970A-G46 Motherboard
GTX 660 TI Superclocked Edition
AMD FX-8120 @ 3.10Ghz
Zalman 9900 cnps max CPU Cooler
Cougar 80 plus bronze 750 watt psu
8gb Corsair Vengeance @ 1600mhz

Solution
As above I turned off Cool and Quiet and turbo core in the bios and then set my multiplier to 20x that equates to 4GHz. I am using a XSPC 750 RS240 water cooler on my rig but a good heatsink/fan should be able to do the job just fine. I did not need any over volt clock what so ever to hit 4GHz stable.
As above I turned off Cool and Quiet and turbo core in the bios and then set my multiplier to 20x that equates to 4GHz. I am using a XSPC 750 RS240 water cooler on my rig but a good heatsink/fan should be able to do the job just fine. I did not need any over volt clock what so ever to hit 4GHz stable.

Solution

Boogachoog

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Thanks seems to be stable at 4Ghz now, but how can I be sure?

Well the way I did it was to play some games. I just set my res at 1080p and cracked up the settings to ultra/max and started playing the game. Checked the CPU temps every so often and when I was sure there was not a heat problem and everything was stable I did not worry about it anymore. My benchmarks were the real games I play. I just played the games and if they played good and did not stutter that is what I was looking for. And so far I have not found a game my rig can't handle.