Which mobos will support dual channel memory after overclocking?

dragonfly522

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I heard on this forum that by overclocking memory that on certain motherboards the dual channel capability will be lost. If this is true, how do I know which mobos can keep its dual channel memory configuration when overclocking memory? Does anybody know which am3 socket mobos will work? Also, I've asked the following question before on another thread, but I'm not sure of the answer after getting some responses, so I will ask it again on this thread. When a mobo spec shows OC, 1600(OC), for example, does that mean I can stick 1600 MHz memory in that mobo, or does it mean that I can only put one step down, like 1333MHz, in the machine and overclock it? Does it matter? My guess is no. Thanks in advance for any help given.

Solution
1) I haven't heard of a motherboard lossing dual channel support through overclocking but not saying it might not be true though. Can you link your other post and we might be able to see what other replied and get to the bottom of it? I would say, you'll be safe either way with a 890GX/FX motherboard from ASUS or Gigabyte.

2) When the motherboard says 1600 (OC), it means it doesn't support DDR3 1600 at "stock" settings. You'll have to overclock the memory (manually adjust settings basically) to get it to run at DDR3 1600. It shouldn't be an issue. I would just recommend checking the motherboard's QVL or RAM manufacturer for certification of the memory working with the MOBO. This will help ensure they will all play nice together. :)

tecmo34

Administrator
1) I haven't heard of a motherboard lossing dual channel support through overclocking but not saying it might not be true though. Can you link your other post and we might be able to see what other replied and get to the bottom of it? I would say, you'll be safe either way with a 890GX/FX motherboard from ASUS or Gigabyte.

2) When the motherboard says 1600 (OC), it means it doesn't support DDR3 1600 at "stock" settings. You'll have to overclock the memory (manually adjust settings basically) to get it to run at DDR3 1600. It shouldn't be an issue. I would just recommend checking the motherboard's QVL or RAM manufacturer for certification of the memory working with the MOBO. This will help ensure they will all play nice together. :)

Solution