Swarnendu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
What problems can one have for not going for high end PSUs. Most people in Kolkata have very low budget for their systems. For example----

ASUS P5KPL AM/PS m/b
Intel Core2Duo E7500
2GB DDR2800 KVR single ch.
Sparkle nvidia 9500GT
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160GB
Sony DVD RAM drive
Samsung 1.44" floppy drive
Foxin 500W PSU (Rs600)

It is found that this system runs on Foxin 500W PSU worth Rs600 or similarly priced
Zebronics regular series 500W, or even on 500W Frontech (Rs500).
But I found from many reviewers and threads that one should not opt for anything less
than Corsair, best for this case is TX400.
If the machine runs smoothly without any problems on these (according to the world, disgusting) PSUs why SHOULD one go for TX400 with this system for Rs2700?

People say clean power delivery in corsair or other high end PSUs lower ripples etc, so
why do we need to think about them, will they have any adverse effect on the system,
if so how will it be the problem. I have seen nearly all people running their computers
trouble free years after years with Rs400 PSUs, if these are so unreliable then how is
this possible?

My system is-------

ASUS P5KPL AM/PS m/b
Intel Core2Duo E7400 (2.84/333)
2X 2GB DDR2800 KVR dual ch.
MSI ATI Radeon HD 4670 1GB DDR3 (800/950)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 320GB
WD Caviar Blue 160GB
Creative SB X-Fi Titanium
HP DVD RAM drive
LG DVD RAM drive
Zebronics 500W Platinum PSU (Rs2100)

Now my query is that in what way it would have been better if I would have opted
for Corsair TX400 PSU for Rs2700. One bad thing is that people over here already
call me mad for buying Rs2100 PSU instead of Rs500-600 ones. I went for this PSU
just for improved reliability, performance and stability, now the overall question is
that what's the use? Please explain me with respect to the example system and my
system.

Here is a link to jonnyguru.com that has the power supply information you are looking for:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1036

You will notice that jonnyguru's first post contains links to 5 additional FAQ's that contain more specific information about power supplies.

EDIT - Zebronics power supplies are not available in the USA. We know very very little about them. It is possible their 500 watt supply is adequate for typical users in your country.

Swarnendu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Yes I understand.
Can you tell me if Corsair VX550W is good enough for my upcoming system----

MSI H55M-E33
Intel Core i5 750
2X 2GB DDR3 1333 KHX/Corsair Value Select
Ati Radeon HD 5850 OC
Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD
Kingston V+ SSD 64GB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 320GB
HP DVD RAM drive
LG DVD RAM drive

Here are the official power requirements for the ATI Radeon HD 5850 video card.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

The high quality Corsair VX550 is a heavy duty psu that can power a system equipped with one 5850 video card. During technical reviews it was determined the psu can actually deliver 600 watts of power. :D

Swarnendu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

I did not get the complete answer to my question but only to some extent.
All informations that I found in this link says about what many different problems can arise using PSUs from unreliable brands and their consequences etc. It also says about how to distinguish reliable and unreliable brands. BUT, it doesn't speak about what can be the possible problems at present or in future while using unreliable PSUs, THOUGH they are running a computer without any noticeable problem, starting from the time the system is bought.
For example, have look at this system, having very unreliable PSU.

ASUS P5KPL AM/PS m/b
Intel Core2Duo E7500
2GB DDR2800 KVR single ch.
Sparkle NVIDIA 9500GT 1GB DDR2
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160GB
Sony DVD RAM drive
Foxin 500W PSU (Rs600)
This system has no UPS, in a place with all kinds of power related problems you can think of, like hell.

Now, how can this system run without any noticeable problem with such an unreliable PSU? As anyone will recommend Corsair CX400 with this system worth Rs2700.
Now if it can run problem free with such Rs400-600 PSUs, why do everyone has to recommend such high end PSUs?

Please try to understand my question CAREFULLY. And please help.

The Foxin 500w psu you mentioned is not available in the USA so we are not familiar with it. In addition there are no competent technical reviews and no information in a database of psu manufacturers. Without information we cannot offer advice or opinions.

The only thing I can say with any certainty is that Foxin appears to be what we call a "in house brand" sold by an online vendor with the same name.

http://www.foxin.in/thebrand.htm

http://www.foxin.in/smps.htm

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Bad PSUs even if running fine now always have the chance of dieing later on taking the rest of your components with it. Many do not find the saving you get from getting a junk PSU is worth it as they're components are worth so much. As JohnnyLucky said we do not have any information on that PSU which means it could be good...

Swarnendu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Thanks a lot.

Do you people do not have any idea about what we can get in India (Delhi/Mumbai/Chennai/Kolkata)?
In the third world countries there is a larger diversity of quality of products in comparison with 1st world countries. That is why people who want to buy high end products as well as budget cocerned, have a lot of confusion about what to buy and why to buy.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

I know theres a lot of people from India on this fourm just ask them they probably know.

Swarnendu

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Yes "userremoved" everyone is free to reply.

Can you please tell me which PSU brands are available in USA, give me EVERYTHING. Then it will be easier for me to understand, compare and ask you people accordingly.

hade123

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
I'm from india as well and I've been through quite a few of the local 500w psu's. I personally have no experience with the foxin brand psu but I have used other psu's with similar prices.

I've had to switch 3 zebronics 500w psu's within 6-7 months after which I switched to a Frontech psu. PSU died within 2-3 months and took my motherboard with it.

I used an apc ups as well. From my experience atleast the zebronics & possibly frontech psu's at that price range aren't very reliable.