Sign in with
Your question

Help an old computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 14, 2010 2:54:21 AM

Hello,
I have an old computer that is showing vertical lines a lot. they often disappear. I bought a new monitor and it is still occuring. I now think it is the video card. I did a search but cant figure out a replacement card because the computer is ten yeares old. my son loves it and I don't want to ditch it. Can someone help me either replace or upgrade this card...64mb nvidia geforce2 mx400 agp video card w/ dvi and tv out [part #6002022

More about : computer

a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2010 2:58:48 AM

Budget? You can get a radeon 4650 AGP card for pretty cheap
What are the other specs of your system?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2010 3:05:28 AM

dont get the 4650 for your ten year old computer. Your better off getting the oldest and hopefully cheapst AGP card you can find. (practically anything you put into your computer is going to be bottlenecked by your CPU). Also I can see that you will need to buy a new PSU, assuming yours is still the original that came with the system. That should cost you roughly $100 for both... frankly id save up and get a newer system.

Appart from that I might be woried as to which Operating System you are using, drivers for newer cards will not support older systems and this could be an issue to look into.
m
l
February 14, 2010 3:14:15 AM

This is why I came to this site. I do not want to spend too much on this computer...less than say 75ish. I will go back to the gateway site and find out about my power supply and repost. It has been a trusty old friend.
I am using windows XP---xp just came out when i bought it. it is current with updates. Speed is decent for what we use it for...star wars games and light internet browsing.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2010 3:18:33 AM

the fx5500 i mentioned will give you a nice boost over your current setup and only costs around 30$~, in fact any AGP card on newegg will give you a boost :D 
What are the other specs of your system?
m
l
February 14, 2010 3:27:49 AM

brionwarren said:
Hello,
I have an old computer that is showing vertical lines a lot. they often disappear. I bought a new monitor and it is still occuring. I now think it is the video card. I did a search but cant figure out a replacement card because the computer is ten yeares old. my son loves it and I don't want to ditch it. Can someone help me either replace or upgrade this card...64mb nvidia geforce2 mx400 agp video card w/ dvi and tv out [part #6002022

Anything from the same era would be fine. Same card you have now, maybe a 7xxx series ati. I would not go into the ati 9xxx series without know what your psu output is. Most of these cards can be found very cheap on ebay ! :) 

The fx 5xxx series is nice too !
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 14, 2010 3:39:06 AM

That FX5500 looks to be a good choice, cheaper than I was expecting aswell.
m
l
February 21, 2010 8:13:47 PM

thanks! I will but it.
m
l
!