BJJMark95

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
This may be a dumb question but this is my first build and I just want to double check before I do this.

I have the ASUS p8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 motherboard and it has 4 SATA3 ports on it. 2 are the Intel ports and 2 are the MARVEL Ports. I have both my HDD and SSD plugged into the Marvel ports but I think I want to try them on the Intel ports (the other 2 SATA3 ports).

My question is, can I just plug them into the two other ports? Is there any settings that I will need to change? Will my system be able to pick up that they are the same drives just connected in different spots? I would think that it would change anything but I may be wrong.

My OS (Windows 7 Pro 64bit) is on my SSD and my HDD has my programs and data.

Any thoughts?

Solution
You definitely want to use the Intel ports rather than the Marvell for your SSD. I would first burn a system repair disk and then just shutdown and move the two to the Intel ports. You shouldn't have an issue, but the repair disk would be enough to fix any issues that occasionally arise. Are you using AHCI SATA mode?

RealBeast

Titan
You definitely want to use the Intel ports rather than the Marvell for your SSD. I would first burn a system repair disk and then just shutdown and move the two to the Intel ports. You shouldn't have an issue, but the repair disk would be enough to fix any issues that occasionally arise. Are you using AHCI SATA mode?

Solution

BJJMark95

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012

Yes I am using AHCI SATA mode. I have a back up image of my SSD on an external HDD that I made to keep in case anything happens. I will go ahead and make a repair disk as well though. I did not think that it should cause any issue, but again I am not sure and I wanted to ask before I just did it.

Yea, the Marvell ports are not working as best as what I think they should so I think the Intel ones will work better or at least I want to give them a try and then benchmark my SSD to see if it gets any better.

BJJMark95

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Just to follow up. I did turn off the system and unplug the hard drives and move them to the intel SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. Upon start up of the computer I then had to go into the BIOS and check to make sure that they were still recognized. I had to switch the boot priority back to my SSD and that was pretty much it. Once I reset it booted just fine. Then, in Windows I had to go to my monitoring program for managing the drives connected to the intel ports and it simply had to update. Now it shows both the SSD and the HDD in the intel drives and my optical drive in an intel SATA 3.0 Gb/s port. Ended up not being a big issue at all. I will benchmark my SSD this afternoon to see its transfer rates. Thank you.