A simple question about the software

My wife decided to get an additional RTV. She got a 5040 from RTV. Good
price, what with sale and rebate. However, there have been problems. In
particular, it hung up with the "checking for new software" message. I
recall that was a problem with long since obsolete software. When I
checked, it turns out the software is from 2003.

The machine has since gone blank. RTV has agreed to refund the money.
However, they have not asked for the unit back.

Here is the question. We have a perfectly good 120Gb disc, with good
software. Can I just swap out the one with the bad software and put in
the good one?

Thanks.

--
Jerry Bank
Trenton, New Jersey

    Yes. If you have a 120GB hard drive with good 5000 series software on it, it
    will work just fine in your "new" 5040.

    Bye.

    PS. You may be able to send the hard drive back to Maxtor for a replacement.
    Check their do-it-yourself RMA web site.

    "Jerry Bank" <bankcello@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
    > My wife decided to get an additional RTV. She got a 5040 from RTV. Good
    > price, what with sale and rebate. However, there have been problems. In
    > particular, it hung up with the "checking for new software" message. I
    > recall that was a problem with long since obsolete software. When I
    > checked, it turns out the software is from 2003.
    >
    > The machine has since gone blank. RTV has agreed to refund the money.
    > However, they have not asked for the unit back.
    >
    > Here is the question. We have a perfectly good 120Gb disc, with good
    > software. Can I just swap out the one with the bad software and put in
    > the good one?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Jerry Bank
    > Trenton, New Jersey
    > Music is the language of the gods.

    SINCE IT IS a 5040.... I would suggest you ask them to fix it.

    5040s are rare and worth more than their sticker says

    --
    John F Davis, in Delightful Detroit. WA8YXM(at)arrl(dot)net
    "Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business"

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:11:41 GMT, John in Detroit
    <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >SINCE IT IS a 5040.... I would suggest you ask them to fix it.
    >
    >5040s are rare and worth more than their sticker says

    Then you might not want to give it up.

    >Jerry Bank wrote:
    >> My wife decided to get an additional RTV. She got a 5040 from RTV. Good
    >> price, what with sale and rebate. However, there have been problems. In
    >> particular, it hung up with the "checking for new software" message. I
    >> recall that was a problem with long since obsolete software. When I
    >> checked, it turns out the software is from 2003.
    >>
    >> The machine has since gone blank. RTV has agreed to refund the money.
    >> However, they have not asked for the unit back.
    >>
    >> Here is the question. We have a perfectly good 120Gb disc, with good
    >> software. Can I just swap out the one with the bad software and put in
    >> the good one?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    Mark Lloyd
    has a Replay 5xxx
    http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

    still fall for that scam."

ReplayTV Software Video Home Theatre Product