Unable to acess samsung 2tb external hard drive

G

Hi
I am using a windows 7 64 bit ultimatum.
My samsung 2 tb external was working fine until today
It makes a clicking sound and does not display at all
What could be the problem?

eoinycroiny

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
sounds like its bust tbh. the hard drive heads are not moving correctly or getting stuck, hense the clicking sound. iv had this several times and theirs a few temperary solutions but ultimatley your disk is going to die, so if you get it working, BACK IT UP ASAP.

solution one: try turn the HDD upside down, turn it on and see if it still clicks, if not then its working. if that doesnt work, switch it off, turn it on its side, etc etc etc iv had this work for me several times.

solution 2: wrap it in a plastic bag or cling film and place it in the freezer over night. it its a stuck head then freezing it will contract the metal head just enoight to free it and you might get it working long enough to get any important info off it.

i dont think theirs any perminant solution to fix your problem but one of the above solutions should work and give you time to back it up.

hope this helps and goodluck

jrazor247

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
It may be the external power supply failing. You could take the drive out of the enclosure if that's even possible and directly connect the drive via SATA and see if the problem is still there.