Your question

OS slow to load (install) Problems

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2010 10:28:21 PM

Board: Gigabyte GA-970XTA-UD4
Proc: AMD x4 Phenom 955
memory: G.Skill DDR3 1600 2x2GB Cas7
a temporary HD (until real one comes in)

The problem I'm having is I'm trying to get windows7 installed. Before it gets to the "Install Now" screen it takes about 3 minutes to load. Then after I click install another 5 minutes before the next window pops up. And then throughout different parts same sort of thing happens. It also happens with Knoppix or Ubuntu bootable cds.

The way I setup the memory is
Clock Multiplier: x8.00
Cas# Latency: 8
Ras to Cas R/W Delay: 8
Row Precharge Time: 8
Minimum Ras Active Time: 24
Voltage 1.605v
And I forget What I left for Trfc0 for Dimm

Recommended was 8-8-8-24 and 1.6v

So what am I doing wrong?

Sam
February 24, 2010 12:53:36 AM

fastx21 said:
Board: Gigabyte GA-970XTA-UD4
Proc: AMD x4 Phenom 955
memory: G.Skill DDR3 1600 2x2GB Cas7
a temporary HD (until real one comes in)

The problem I'm having is I'm trying to get windows7 installed. Before it gets to the "Install Now" screen it takes about 3 minutes to load. Then after I click install another 5 minutes before the next window pops up. And then throughout different parts same sort of thing happens. It also happens with Knoppix or Ubuntu bootable cds.

The way I setup the memory is
Clock Multiplier: x8.00
Cas# Latency: 8
Ras to Cas R/W Delay: 8
Row Precharge Time: 8
Minimum Ras Active Time: 24
Voltage 1.605v
And I forget What I left for Trfc0 for Dimm

Recommended was 8-8-8-24 and 1.6v

So what am I doing wrong?

Sam

Was there a previous OS on the hard drive? Was it formatted? What hard drive are you using?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2010 6:49:46 AM

If it happens on all bootable optical media, I'd take a look at the optical drive personally, but I guess it could be something else.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2010 8:53:44 AM

I'll try a different dvd drive, certainly that can be it.
But my question is even if I did the timings wrong somehow can that cause something like this?

I tried taking out one memory stick at a time to see if one might be bad but nothing changes.

Also it's an old hard drive I'm testing with, I formatted it clean and as for type? It's just some old 80 gig seagate.

Here's a screen shot of the timings: http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/7062/memoryi.jpg
m
l
a b } Memory
February 24, 2010 1:01:04 PM

I would also check the DVD drive. I personally have dealt with the same problem, and it turned out to be a failing DVD drive causing the slowdown.

Casey
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2010 4:31:27 PM

Is there a reason that you didn't get some hard drive not quite as old and slow? It will certainly make the computer as a whole seem slower.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2010 9:36:30 PM

I tried a different IDE dvd drive and same problem.

Also I ran memorytest6 on both sticks and they passed, but when the sticks are together the computer resets after a few %.

And I ordered a samsung spinpoint F3 1TB drive, it just hasn't come in yet. I was using the old drive just to test.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2010 9:38:08 PM

Maybe that controller or ribbon cable is bad.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2010 9:54:21 PM

I think I'm on to something.

Alot of people are reporting long hanging times as I've described when they tried to install windows7 64bit. (or win7 in general). I didn't see any problems like this for my laptop but it could just be windows itself at fault.

I'll try to burn a usb bootable drive and see how that goes.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b } Memory
February 24, 2010 10:06:17 PM

There are pauses during the Windows 7 setup. A lot of people reporting "problems" just didn't seem to be waiting long enough between steps. The installer is doing a lot of stuff behind the scenes. I've found it helpful to start the install and just walk away for a few minutes. That way you don't get impatient and assume something's gone wrong when the install takes a little while longer to do something than you thought it would.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 24, 2010 10:47:15 PM

But he said it's occurring with things like ubuntu discs too. This is usually pretty snappy, and way faster than installing windows. (though windows 7 is much better about this than XP was)

Personally I only had to wait awhile for the window to pop up at first, after that the parts that it makes you do things all worked as expected.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 25, 2010 1:16:33 AM

I hear what you're saying shorstuff_int but this is the same win7 dvd I used on my laptop and I've installed roughly 100-200 installs in my life so I would like to think I'm accustomed to the waiting times on installs. Just seems longer then it should be. Anyway I'll wait and see what happens. I did try running a windows XP pro cd before and it didn't seem to have any lag.
m
l
February 25, 2010 2:05:11 AM

When i installes windows 7 on my velociraptor drive it took close to an hour and a half to install. after it was instaled it works great!!!
m
l
!