OS slow to load (install) Problems

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Board: Gigabyte GA-970XTA-UD4
Proc: AMD x4 Phenom 955
memory: G.Skill DDR3 1600 2x2GB Cas7
a temporary HD (until real one comes in)

The problem I'm having is I'm trying to get windows7 installed. Before it gets to the "Install Now" screen it takes about 3 minutes to load. Then after I click install another 5 minutes before the next window pops up. And then throughout different parts same sort of thing happens. It also happens with Knoppix or Ubuntu bootable cds.

The way I setup the memory is
Clock Multiplier: x8.00
Cas# Latency: 8
Ras to Cas R/W Delay: 8
Row Precharge Time: 8
Minimum Ras Active Time: 24
Voltage 1.605v
And I forget What I left for Trfc0 for Dimm

Recommended was 8-8-8-24 and 1.6v

So what am I doing wrong?

Sam

cory1234

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005

Was there a previous OS on the hard drive? Was it formatted? What hard drive are you using?

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I'll try a different dvd drive, certainly that can be it.
But my question is even if I did the timings wrong somehow can that cause something like this?

I tried taking out one memory stick at a time to see if one might be bad but nothing changes.

Also it's an old hard drive I'm testing with, I formatted it clean and as for type? It's just some old 80 gig seagate.

Here's a screen shot of the timings: http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/7062/memoryi.jpg

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I tried a different IDE dvd drive and same problem.

Also I ran memorytest6 on both sticks and they passed, but when the sticks are together the computer resets after a few %.

And I ordered a samsung spinpoint F3 1TB drive, it just hasn't come in yet. I was using the old drive just to test.

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I think I'm on to something.

Alot of people are reporting long hanging times as I've described when they tried to install windows7 64bit. (or win7 in general). I didn't see any problems like this for my laptop but it could just be windows itself at fault.

I'll try to burn a usb bootable drive and see how that goes.

There are pauses during the Windows 7 setup. A lot of people reporting "problems" just didn't seem to be waiting long enough between steps. The installer is doing a lot of stuff behind the scenes. I've found it helpful to start the install and just walk away for a few minutes. That way you don't get impatient and assume something's gone wrong when the install takes a little while longer to do something than you thought it would.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
But he said it's occurring with things like ubuntu discs too. This is usually pretty snappy, and way faster than installing windows. (though windows 7 is much better about this than XP was)

Personally I only had to wait awhile for the window to pop up at first, after that the parts that it makes you do things all worked as expected.

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I hear what you're saying shorstuff_int but this is the same win7 dvd I used on my laptop and I've installed roughly 100-200 installs in my life so I would like to think I'm accustomed to the waiting times on installs. Just seems longer then it should be. Anyway I'll wait and see what happens. I did try running a windows XP pro cd before and it didn't seem to have any lag.