Cradle - Holy Silent Hill!

..

I don't think I've got any real spoilers (and most have already been
spoiled) but just to be safe...
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

The Cradle level was brilliant! It reminded me a lot of the Silent
Hill games, or at least how the SH games should have been done. Makes
me wish IonStorm would maybe come out with a first person survival
horror game, but I know they won't -- DOOM3's supposed to be like
that, and it's coming way too close to release.

MCheu

Tim

"MCheu" <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> .
>
> I don't think I've got any real spoilers (and most have already been
> spoiled) but just to be safe...
> .
> .
> ..
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> ..
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .

> The Cradle level was brilliant! It reminded me a lot of the Silent
> Hill games, or at least how the SH games should have been done. Makes
> me wish IonStorm would maybe come out with a first person survival
> horror game, but I know they won't -- DOOM3's supposed to be like
> that, and it's coming way too close to release.

System Shock, Schmystem Shock - that 'Cradle mission had me trembling more
than any game I ever played. (Playing it in an old, darkened house doesn't
hurt with that either.) I literally yelled, at one point, when a few of
those shadowy inmates crept up on me.

What really stands out, though, is the back-story. Right up front the mind
is reeling with one's own notions of "haunted" and "insane asylum", and
it's so dark in there that all you're left with is your own imagination - a
hallmark of great storytelling IMHO (most games don't leave anything to your
imagination which is why their stories are so irrelevant)

The way that the asylum is referred to as being "alive", and the ability to
travel through its history, adds another immersive dimension. Plus the
little girl's narrative adds a touch of sadness to an already terrifying
experience. I was afraid I'd never leave myself.

For those reasons I can't imagine Doom 3 ever rivaling Shalebridge Cradle.
In fact, I expect it to be little more than a fragfest with the lights
turned off. Of course it's not out yet so who knows. Just out of curiosity
though, how far is the 'Cradle level in the game? Am I halfway finished?
Less? More? Is there a listing somewhere of all of the missions?