Sign in with
Your question

Shorted power supply, m/b dead as well?

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 1, 2010 10:38:49 PM

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this. Last night i shorted my 12v and 3.3v terminals on my SATA cable. It caused the PC to shutdown immediately. When i tried to turn it back on, it turned on for a brief second then shut down again. I tried again, and same thing happened.
I then waited a minute and tried again, this time it did turn on but it would not POST. no beeps, no video, nothing...just fans running at full speed. Thats when i smelled something burning. Not sure if it was coming from the motherboard or the PSU but i presume it is from the PSU. I tried again and same thing.

I went to sleep, woke up this morning and the PC would not power on at all.

My question is...Does this sound like a PSU problem only or is there a possibility my m/b, CPU, RAM and other equipment have died as well? Or maybe its a M/b problem and not a PSU problem.

I'm using a Corsair HX620W power supply.

Thanks in advance
a b ) Power supply
May 1, 2010 11:09:59 PM

Chances are just the PSU is dead since Corsair has short protection. My question is HOW the hell did you manage to short the +12 and +3.3?!?!?
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 1, 2010 11:12:19 PM

I was making a power supply for a third party device and i soldered some wires onto the SATA power supply cable. They must have touched.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
May 2, 2010 12:11:31 AM

major bummer!

Your psu is probably dead.
m
l
!