Shorted power supply, m/b dead as well?

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this. Last night i shorted my 12v and 3.3v terminals on my SATA cable. It caused the PC to shutdown immediately. When i tried to turn it back on, it turned on for a brief second then shut down again. I tried again, and same thing happened.
I then waited a minute and tried again, this time it did turn on but it would not POST. no beeps, no video, nothing...just fans running at full speed. Thats when i smelled something burning. Not sure if it was coming from the motherboard or the PSU but i presume it is from the PSU. I tried again and same thing.

I went to sleep, woke up this morning and the PC would not power on at all.

My question is...Does this sound like a PSU problem only or is there a possibility my m/b, CPU, RAM and other equipment have died as well? Or maybe its a M/b problem and not a PSU problem.

I'm using a Corsair HX620W power supply.

Thanks in advance
3 answers Last reply
More about shorted power supply dead well
  1. Chances are just the PSU is dead since Corsair has short protection. My question is HOW the hell did you manage to short the +12 and +3.3?!?!?
  2. I was making a power supply for a third party device and i soldered some wires onto the SATA power supply cable. They must have touched.
  3. major bummer!

Your psu is probably dead.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components