Sign in with
Your question

Building a new intel server, need help

Last response: in Components
May 1, 2010 11:28:55 PM

Hello everyone, I am new here and have decided to build a new server for myself. My Initial budget is going to be around a 1000$ but it is more or less a flexible budget. My goal is to spend alot on a flexible powerful and upgradeable motherboard, but less on the initial CPU, ram, and hd. Basically I want to spend a lot for the motherboard so that I can upgrade it as necessary, and only get a decent cpu and possibly one stick of 4G ram. What I am not sure of is what motherboard/chassis combo I should get? What I am looking for in my motherboard is stability, a decent amount of hard drive slots, 2 cpu slots, alot of slots for ram increasing its potential for upgrade(looking at 12 DDR3 slots), and the potential for adding a nvidia graphics card. I was looking at IntelĀ® Server Board S5520HCR. I think it has everything I am looking for but I haven't looked at any other server boards other than intel and im not sure if there are any other boards that would better encompass my needs. also I was looking at the intel chasis's here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
and I'm not sure if all intel boards will fit the chassis in the list, and also not sure if these chassis include power supplys I think they do but cant be sure if in the description it says it will hold a "x"W power supply or it has one built in.

I was looking at this as a package: http://serverconfigurator.intel.com/bom.aspx?id=Mzg0MSMxLDI2MTIjMSwyNTMyIzEsMzIxNSMxLDI1MzgjMSwyNTM1IzEsMjY5OSMxLDI1ODcjMSwyNTU4IzEsMjU1NyMxLDI1NTYjMSwyNTU1IzEsMTE2MSMxLDE2MDIjMSwyMTAxIzEsMTc5NCMxLDMzNDUjMQ%3d%3d#top

also interested in getting one of these two processors possibly depending on the price of all of the other components:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117185
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117187

first off before anything else I really just need assistance picking a motherboard then I can move on from there.

More about : building intel server

a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2010 11:58:56 PM

What kind of application will you use the server for? Most application do not require a dual processor setup since some CPU have 4 or 6 cores build in.

Usually server boards need a pair of ECC/Registered Memory $$$
m
l
May 2, 2010 12:30:31 AM

Quote:
What kind of application will you use the server for? Most application do not require a dual processor setup since some CPU have 4 or 6 cores build in.

Usually server boards need a pair of ECC/Registered Memory $$$

I don't initial plan on having two processors but want to ability to upgrade down the road. Initial I plan on using it as a single place to store all of my files, I move around alot and have a variety of places that I work from a few laptops and desktops and I want to keep everything consistent. Later I will want to use it to host a server for future business applications, but I will probably initially set up some kind of svn server. I know there is not a lot of processing power or ram needed for this, but seeing as I am buying a server and have the money I want to make a purchase that will last, that's why I am interested in a high end mobo for now and lower end components for ease of upgrade-ability and just upgrade ram, cpu, or video card as my uses of the server changes. as for the ram what is the difference between Registered and unregistered ram. I can initially buy a pair of 2G or registered 4G sticks of ram.

Thanks, David
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2010 6:54:22 PM

Based on the application the system you are proposing is overkill.

I would rather go with:

Nice case with plenty of space for hard drives.
1000W power supply
ASUS P6X58D Premium (max 24GB RAM) with a i7 930
6GB (3x 2GB) DDR3 1600 RAM

Two 500GB Raid1 for OS and Programs.
Two 1TB Raid1 for Data

cheap video card (only used during setup and management of computer)

If you run Ubantu (OS), Samba (windows server), Apache (web server), and SVN for Apache (SVN server), it is all free but might take some tweaking. All compatible with above Hardware.

Upgradable to:

24GB of RAM
Will fit 6 core i7 985x (currently $1200)
Add RAID controller and additional hard drives
USB 3.0 external drive for fast and easy backup
m
l
May 2, 2010 9:30:14 PM

Thank you for your input, but I think that I like overkill :D  I have the $ and want to build a powerful and flexible machine. I still do have a few questions though.

Still looking at this Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

1. I know this motherboard is an overkill for my current applications, but is this a good motherboard? meaning are there any other motherboards in the same range, with the same capabilities more or less that is better than the intel board that I selected(12 or more slots of ram, and 2 slots for Xeon 5500 and 5600 processors, and supports the latest nvidia graphics card)?

2. how will I know if the motherboard I am looking at will support the latest nvidia card? I know that they connect to a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot. The motherboard I am looking at says that it has a PCI Express 2.0 x8 slot (x16 mechanical) will it work with this? and if for some reason I ever want to run 2 cards in sli(very unlikely but the possibility to do it would be nice) the other ports are PCI Express 2.0 x8 slots (x8 mechanical) will it work with this one also? It is unlikely that I will want to run sli but if there is a similar motherboard that will support this it would be better.

3. how will I know which intel chassis here:http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090412+50001157+1289817894&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=412&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=
will be able to hold the motherboard, and does anyone know if this chassis contains a power supply built into it?

4. Finally I have a few questions on raid but I am going to do some more research on it first and then come back with what I plan to do. Last time I built a pc all the hd's where connected with ribbon cables, and have used basic sata a little so I have a bit of catching up to do.

Thanks, David
m
l
July 2, 2010 1:11:10 AM

Can anyone please answer the following questions?

Still looking at this Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813121407

1. I know this motherboard is an overkill for my current applications, but is this a good motherboard? meaning are there any other motherboards in the same range, with the same capabilities more or less that is better than the intel board that I selected(12 or more slots of ram, and 2 slots for Xeon 5500 and 5600 processors, and supports the latest nvidia graphics card)?

2. how will I know if the motherboard I am looking at will support the latest nvidia card? I know that they connect to a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot. The motherboard I am looking at says that it has a PCI Express 2.0 x8 slot (x16 mechanical) will it work with this? and if for some reason I ever want to run 2 cards in sli(very unlikely but the possibility to do it would be nice) the other ports are PCI Express 2.0 x8 slots (x8 mechanical) will it work with this one also? It is unlikely that I will want to run sli but if there is a similar motherboard that will support this it would be better.

3. how will I know which intel chassis here:http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
will be able to hold the motherboard, and does anyone know if this chassis contains a power supply built into it?

m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2010 1:39:56 AM

Why not get a pre built workstation/server from any of the companies like Dell/Hp..!! If this is your first build and you lack the experience then having proper support might prove critical..
m
l
July 2, 2010 7:10:05 AM

I understand that would be a quick solution but I want to build one, I have to have a first build sometime. I just need help picking the best mobo for the range(I dont know what makes one mobo better than the other, other than its features like cpu slots, ram slots ect, so if two have the same general specs how to pick between them).

I just need someone to please answer those 3 questions not give me some alternate path to building the server please. that is all I need to start.

Thanks
m
l
!