Can't control fans through OS

liivahiir

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Here's a difficult one for you ;)

There's a thing call SpeedFan.

It's not working.

It was working on my older system that had very old hardware.

All the fans are plugged into the mobo and changing the fan speeds in the bios, msi software or SpeedFan doesn't affect any of their speeds. From what I've heard it's because some motherboards just don't allow that, but I still don't know why that is. I also had weird problems with the CPU fan, it never started spinning at 100%. Plugging the header into a system fan slot solved that though.

Specs:

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6850
CPU: Intel i5 2400
RAM: 8Gb DDR3 G.Skill Ares
HDD: Western Digital 1Tb Caviar Black (7200 rpm)
Mobo: Msi Z77A-G45

So what's up? I can't control the speeds in any way. How is it that a brand new mobo from MSI can't do this and a 5 year old Asus M2N-E has no problems with it? I'm starting to doubt it's a hardware problem, but then again I don't know much about this.

Anyone run into this problem?

Thanks!

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I believe the MSI Bios has an option with power saving that disables almost all your control on the fans. I may be wrong as I haven't seen the board but I know a couple of MSI board's I've used in the last few years have had similar options. I'd check the power savings setup and check into that. You should be able to control the fans in software that came with the board if nothing else. There's something causing you to have no control. Something is overriding it and I'd imagine the setting is in the bios.

liivahiir

Distinguished
May 6, 2011

Thanks for the reply! Checked the bios, changed the settings from automatic. I've configured speedfan properly, but I still can't see the rpms of the fans except for the gpu. I can only control the cpu fan speed.

I'ts just weird that the rpms aren't showing up. Fan02's rpm showed up for a little while, now it's back to 0...

I might go back to the MSI BIOS and see what some of the settings do more closely.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
If you're getting results that sometimes appear, try other programs. I'd imagine the MSI application should see them. You are connected through the right fan headers for sure? Some fans are simply plugged in via molex connecters and with that; you can't really moderate the voltage going into them.

Check the labels of the fan headers you've used and check them in the BIOS and make sure they are running. I'd then search every nook and cranny of that bios to find settings for them. I've only looked at the bios in pictures and boy that interface looks packed full of nooks and crannies for settings to be hiding in.

There has to be some reason you can't control them from BIOS. Using a fan header, the system will actually control the voltage going into the fan the same way a manual fan controller does. So, as long as it has three wires running into the header, it should be controllable.

liivahiir

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
So, I cleaned out the system completely. Checked all the fan headers, they're all plugged into the motherboard. No problems there.

What's the weirdest thing to me, is that even the bios isn't showing the rpms. I can change the speeds from auto to fixed, nothing can still tell me at what speed they are running. So how am I supposed to know if the fans are even running at the speeds I want them to?

In fact, I would just give up on trying to get the fans running at a certain speed and just investigate on that problem. Theoretically, I should be able to see the speeds in the bios, right? No idea why that's happening..

Thanks for your advice btw!