Problems with my new IDE Hard drive

pbdavis

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Hello,
I have a Pentium 4 system with an Intel 82865g motherboard. Last week my hard disk crashed and I installed a new IDE hard disk. Just after two days of installation the system freezed while working and there after windows 7 wouldn't startup. It freezes at the logo screen. I tried using the repair start up utility but that didn't help. I tried reinstalling windows 7 but the installation also freezes half way through. Another time I formated the hard disk and tried again, that too didn't work. Could something have gone wrong with this hard disk as well. I checked for any clicking sound i didn't hear any. The led keeps constantly glowing during the freeze.

unclejehmimah

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

The click is the R/W head clicking back and forth, looking for data that it can't find. And it gets stuck in a loop. So you probably just have a stuck motor or something. plug the hard drive in and see if you feel a clunking or something. If none of that occurs it's probably still likely that your disk is dead. New IDE drives are low quality because they're old tech, they aren't produced up to snuff with the SATA ones, mainly because they are old tech. I say RMA the drive.

pbdavis

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
There is no sound of any sort. Could the power supply be the problem. I have read some other posts where they have a similar problem and finally they changed the SMPS and the problem was solved.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
well either way, try a different cable if you have spare, switch up the channels, go to your hdd manufacturer's site and download tools to check for bad sectors, and preferably use the 'write zeroes' option before checking for errors (1 - write zeroes; 2 - error check; 3 - reformat the drive if no errors are reported)

edit: forgot to mention, write zeroes option will destroy all data and partitions so you might wanna backup everything you can before doing so, and obviously you have to boot from another drive to be even able to do that (unless your hdd's manufacturer provides bootable utilities; Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD) for example on WD's site)