yessir_57

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&docname=c01077641

that is my mother board. long story short I have a HP Elite pre-built system and the power supply crapped out on me. so I took it apart and bought a new case and power supply. I'm using the HAF 922 case and OCZ Modstream 600w Power supply. I took the HDD's, drives, motherboard, ram, cpu and 8800gt from the HP and put it in the new case but now it wont start up.

I think im hooking up the Power SW and such wrong. I have everything else hooked up properly but.

I also left the card readers and the Hauupage and all that other crap in the HP. could that be a problem? How should I be hooking up the Power SW etc. to the board?

Remember KISS Keep It Simple Stupid, remove everything that is not required to boot the computer and try again. Saying that the faulty power supply could have damaged the motherboard. Are you sure that the original power supply was a standard power supply? Many OEM manufactures use non standard power supplies in their computers that look like a standard power supply but have different voltages on the connector, check that the colours on the original power supply connector match the ones on the replacement power supply.

djg9205

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
You'll need to consult your motherboard manual for this one. Generally speaking, your motherboard manual *should* have a diagram indicating what jumpers the power switch is to be connected to on the motherboard. In some cases, these jumpers may be labeled on the board itself, but this is rare. Your power switch cable coming from the case can be oriented either way on the two jumpers, it matters not which pin goes where, as long it is connected to the two correct pins. (Note: it works this way for all case "switches" but not LEDs).

The link that you've indicated doesn't seem to contain the necessary information to connect your power switch (and it SHOULD...shame on HP). A little bit of googling also reveals that you are apparently not the only one upset about the lack of an official, detailed manual for this board. I can't seem to locate one on the internet either. You may have to contact HP regarding finding out what jumpers to connect your power switch too.

Leaving out the card reader and Haupage should have no effect on your systems ability to start.

There is also the possibility that the PSU managed to take a few other components with it when it went, meaning your motherboard and/or processor is ALSO bad now. This is actually very common, and it's the reason why we also recommend that people NOT skimp on the PSU. It has the potential to destroy almost your entire system in the event of a failure.