Upgrade or Replace?

cheap engineeer

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
I'm considering replacing my current PC but was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade it instead. Here is my rig:

Intel Q6600 GO
2 gigs of Corsiar XMS DDR2800
Nvidia Geforce 8800GT

Now, the issue is that I started with a Dell PC, so I am unable to overclock. Would it be worth buying a new MB, HS, and possibly another 2 gigs of ram or a whole new i5 rig? I use the PC for mostly gaming at 1920X1080 resolution. Thanks for any input.

loneninja

Distinguished
Your 8800GT is the bottleneck at that resolution in almost any game you play when using a stock Q6600. Sure a faster processor could help some in a few games, but if you looking for a real fps boast and any kind of increase in visual settings, a better gpu like a 5850 will be a much better upgrade.

If you buy a new mobo, you can re-use your CPU, RAM, GPU, hard drive, DVD drive, and maybe the power supply. If you go for a system, you can't reuse your CPU or RAM (maybe RAM if you go for a DDR2 AMD system).

Overclocking will bring your performance up to slightly under i5 levels, while i5s are more future proof and overclock very well.

It's up to you - do you have a large budget?