Help with upgrading an Dell XPS Gen 4

My friend is rather tight on money, and a PC gamer. He recently has gotten a Dell XPS Gen 4 from a friend for free, and is attempting to update it so it can play modern games decently. He is currently looking at getting a 4850 to replace a 6800, and 2 more gigs of ram. However, one thing which I can't find any information on is what socket he has, and what processors the bios will accept. He currently has a 3.73 ghz p4, so I think its a LGA 775, which would open up a lot of possibilities, assuming the bios supports the procs, but I'm unable to find the info on dells website, and with the warrenty long gone, I would have to pay to call them. Anyone know what CPUs I can put into it?
9 answers Last reply
More about help upgrading dell
  1. Could you give me a model number?

If it is compatible, You could buy an E6600 for a drop in for like 75$, or a Q6600 for 140$, or a Q9555.
  2. I'm going to go ahead and say you are SOl from what i found online :(
  3. Ok I found some stuff. Looks like you can't as the chipset does not support newer processors. I just Googled (Binged) "Dell XPS Gen 4 processor upgrade". Any way here are two threads which should help:

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-groups/gaming/f/3344/t/19321216.aspx

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/18775118/18900410.aspx

So from that it looks like you can't upgrade. And yes it is 775.
  4. 6M62871 is the service tag
  5. sigh oh well, I'm guessing it'll be able to still run most things if I upgrade the gpu, Thanks for the help.
  6. no chance of finding a bios to flash it with I guess :/
  7. Cheap pc said:
    sigh oh well, I'm guessing it'll be able to still run most things if I upgrade the gpu, Thanks for the help.

...Thea t CPu will botlleneck though :(

And you can"t OC since its a dell.
  8. eh, its actually doing a lot better than i expected, its running borderlands pretty well on low at 1024 by 720, and I imagine a 4850 and ram upgrade would still make a noticeable difference.
  9. ^ Yep.

Go for it.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Dell Studio Xps