Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I5 750 vs X4 955BE

Last response: in CPUs
May 2, 2010 1:42:58 AM

So I need and answer. I am leaning toward the i5, but it does not seem like it will be upgradeable in the future. While the X4 955BE is a little slower, cheaper, and will be able to upgrade in the future. So what should I pick?

More about : 750 955be

a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 2:30:55 AM

Well, the Core i5 750 2.66GHz should last you quite a while. However, if you do upgrade systems quite often, go for the Phenom II X4 955. Later on you could get the Phenom II X6 1090T, and apparently Bulldozer (AMD's next generation of CPUs) will also be based on socket AM3.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 2:37:16 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272741-28-truth-pheno...

That should be pretty helpful, at least I hope...

Find your main uses and compare the numbers, keeping in mind what the actual real-world difference is and not just the percentages.

If you are only gaming or worried about gaming mostly, then the 955/965 is clear choose for the money. If you plan to use SLI, though, then the i5 is the better choose so that you can avoid the horrible nVidia chipsets.

If you are worried about both games and apps, and you plan to overclock, then the 1055T will cost the same as the i5 750 and do a bit better overall performance wise.
May 2, 2010 2:55:45 AM

okay, can you look at my other post and tell me if i can sli with the motherboard. if i can't tell me if i can't at least put a nvidia card in it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 3:02:08 AM

Well, SLI on AMD motherboards is only supported by motherboards which have nVidia SLI chipsets on them, e.g. the MSI NF980-G65. However, you can run an nVidia card in an AMD motherboard even though it may not support SLI.
m
l
May 2, 2010 3:04:06 AM

kk should i get the msi or the asus? pretend like i don't want to sli, which has the best features?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 3:07:33 AM

Well, which motherboards sorry?

Edit: NVM, go for any motherboard really. I suggest ones based on the 870 chipset which only offer one PCI-e lane, but tend to be cheaper. Otherwise, you could go for the MSI NF980-G65 if you want to SLI, or NF750-G55 if you want a cheaper board with 8x/8x PCI-e lanes.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 3:22:29 AM

Do note that nVidia chipsets are pretty unstable at times, overclock poorly, run very hot, have buggy drivers, perform horribly for RAID setups, and cost a lot considering all of that.

On the flip side, my Biostar T5XE CFX+SLI board overclocks very well, is built very solid, has great capacitors, runs without problem, and has excellent spacing of everything but SATA, which is a pretty big pain but is made up for it with the placement and spacing on the rest of it. It is also on sale:
http://www.frys.com/product/6007298
m
l
May 9, 2010 2:02:54 AM

Best answer selected by Eg Lawns.
m
l
May 9, 2010 3:24:52 AM

AMW1011 said:
Do note that nVidia chipsets are pretty unstable at times, overclock poorly, run very hot, have buggy drivers, perform horribly for RAID setups, and cost a lot considering all of that.

On the flip side, my Biostar T5XE CFX+SLI board overclocks very well, is built very solid, has great capacitors, runs without problem, and has excellent spacing of everything but SATA, which is a pretty big pain but is made up for it with the placement and spacing on the rest of it. It is also on sale:
http://www.frys.com/product/6007298

huh... I see, but why the hell do nvidia chipsets suck so much in the first place?
m
l
!