Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

SSD drive Question?

Last response: in Storage
Share
March 6, 2012 3:52:46 PM

Are SSD's really worth the money to invest in for a Gameing Rig? or Should I just stick with a Raid configuration useing HDD?

More about : ssd drive question

March 6, 2012 4:03:03 PM

they greatly improve loading times, thats about it tbh. no real fps increase or anything like that. games will look and play the same, just wont have to wait for levels or new area to load.

they greatly increase OS loading times too, so less waiting around for system to startup

personally i just use a raid 0. however iv been looking at a hybrid hdd/ssd drive but need to do more research, maybe look into them yourself, more storage for you money and thier a lot faster then your basic HDD
m
0
l
a c 119 G Storage
March 6, 2012 4:42:00 PM

I use a 180gb SSD for my boot drive and have the current game that I play on it along with a few apps. The rest is on an OCZ RevoDrive X3 240gb. This way everything is on fast drives and it there is any advantage to that then it will be realized with this setup. The main backup for Windows and deep storage is on a Western Digital Veloceraptor 600gb sata3 which is a fasted hdd than a normal hdd.
The debate over if it is worth spending money on a SSD for a gaming rig is really up to the person whose computer it is. If you have the extra money then go for it because one thing is for sure it can't hurt and it can only help if it is possible.
I do know that the maps on the games do load really fast and I am always the first to be in the maps and ready to go. Besides games everything in the computer is quicker to open and loading is faster.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 115 G Storage
March 6, 2012 7:35:54 PM

ziuus1 said:
Are SSD's really worth the money to invest in for a Gameing Rig? or Should I just stick with a Raid configuration useing HDD?


Neither has any real impact on gaming. And the differences are highly exaggerated. Gaming Load Time is comparable to an oft measured stat in both HD's and SSD's.....on my son's box, I measured the following:

(1) Vertex 3 Max IOPS (120 GB) boots to Windows in 15.6 seconds
(1) Seagate Barracuda XT (2 TB) boots to windows in 21.2 seconds

Loading our fav MMO took 45 seconds with either.

So does 5 seconds of Windows loading time matter to you ? If so, then it's worth it. I plot my lappie on my desk, hit the start button and then go grab a cup of java. That takes me 30-40 seconds so when I arrive back at my desk, it really doesn't matter.

Now if you pop the ON button and sit there watching, then you may be more inclined to say, "yeah I need this". However, an SSD will show you a real observable impact .... if you're paying attention. RAID isn't going to show you anything in gaming .....huge spreadsheets, database work, video editing CAD rendering, yes .... but not gaming.

After working with boxes with and without SSD's ..... I'd say a hybrid HD / SSD like the Seagate Momentus is a fine compromise. Boots to Windows just 1 second slower than an SSD
m
0
l
March 7, 2012 11:01:30 AM

Thanks all for replieing,

I just hear all the hype about useing SSD's but from what you all have said. I am fine with my windows 7 load time, it loads pretty fast in my opinion. Atm, I don't play any MMO's (I used to play Rift). I thought the load times for mmo's was based on the speed of your internet? and not how fast your storage drive is.

@ Jack, I am suprised that your load times for the MMO you play are the same load times useing either SSD or HDD.

@ Eoin, I thought useing an SSD drive improves the games overall performance?
m
0
l
March 7, 2012 1:22:10 PM

Another thing you can look into is getting a z68 board and using an SSD and HDD together hybridly.. the SSD would essentially be a giant 64GB cache of the HDD. This make for a great improvement in hard drive i/o times while still keeping the large capacity of the HDD. With my setup. at the start of the windows load screen. i boot to desktop within 8sec.. while still have a 1TB c: :) 

edit: as for game play.. load times are truly faster.. but not so much for frames-per-sec. I play swtor and maps load in about 15 seconds or so while on my laptops 7200rpm drive take about 45-60sec to load.
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 1:28:25 PM

rozz said:
Another thing you can look into is getting a z68 board and using an SSD and HDD together hybridly.. the SSD would essentially be a giant 64GB cache of the HDD. This make for a great improvement in hard drive i/o times while still keeping the large capacity of the HDD. With my setup. at the start of the windows load screen. i boot to desktop within 8sec.. while still have a 1TB c: :) 

edit: as for game play.. load times are truly faster.. but not so much for frames-per-sec. I play swtor and maps load in about 15 seconds or so while on my laptops 7200rpm drive take about 45-60sec to load.


Are you saying I can use an SSD drive with my current hard drive as cache, on top of the HDD arldy installed 64MB Cache? Achieve the same results?

If so, How does that work? Would I keep Windows 7 on the HDD or Install it on the SSD?

Are the Z68 mobo the only boards that will work Hybridly?
m
0
l

Best solution

March 14, 2012 5:28:11 PM

Yes, you must have a z68 motherboard for this to work..

How it works is it puts your HDD and SSD into a RAID, where the most commonly used files get copied to your SSD and to your HDD. And, whenever the OS needs to retrieve those files, instead of going to the slow HDD, it just simply goes to your SSD. If the SSD ever breaks, dont worry, you can simply unplug the SSD and turn off ISRT and your HDD works like normal still.

This makes it great to keep your C: super fast (about 95% the speed of a SSD) while retaining the capacity of a normal HDD

Here's an article about it

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-z68-express-s...
Share
March 14, 2012 8:15:12 PM

rozz said:
Yes, you must have a z68 motherboard for this to work..

How it works is it puts your HDD and SSD into a RAID, where the most commonly used files get copied to your SSD and to your HDD. And, whenever the OS needs to retrieve those files, instead of going to the slow HDD, it just simply goes to your SSD. If the SSD ever breaks, dont worry, you can simply unplug the SSD and turn off ISRT and your HDD works like normal still.

This makes it great to keep your C: super fast (about 95% the speed of a SSD) while retaining the capacity of a normal HDD

Here's an article about it

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-z68-express-s...


Thanks for the Info Rozz. This was very helpful and useful. I am gonna be ordering my 120GB SSD on Monday. I will be setting this up as soon as it arrives.

Wow, Back to Intel. I haven't built a Intel system since the P3 were the top processors in their time. On to Newegg to put this thing together.

Thanks again all for your comments.
m
0
l
March 14, 2012 8:15:25 PM

Best answer selected by ziuus1.
m
0
l
March 15, 2012 11:22:08 AM

Do note that the largest size it will cache is 64gb of ur ssd, but, it still allows you to use the rest of ur ssd as another partition. So for my 120gb ssd, 64gb is being used in isrt, while the other 60gb is used for my most common games (bf3, swtor, lol) makes them load faster :) 
m
0
l
!